Mastering physics Ch 3 frustation

In summary, using the given values for initial velocity, time in the air, and distance, the maximum height of the ball on its way to the receiver is 4.56 meters. However, in order to accurately solve for the maximum height, the angle of launch must also be taken into account, which is not given in the problem.
Slizzardman

Homework Statement

A quarterback passes the football downfield at 20 m/s. It leaves his hand 1.8 m above the ground and is caught by a receiver 30 m away at the same height. What is the maximum height of the ball on its way to the receiver?

Xi=0m
Xf=30m
Yi=1.8m
Yf=1.8m
Vi= 20 m/s
t=1.5s (time in the air, aka delta t)

Homework Equations

Yf=Yi+(Vyi)t-.5g(t^2)
xf=xi+(vx)i*t

The Attempt at a Solution

xf-vi=t=1.5s
since this was a parabolic motion I used .75s as the time for max height. I plugged the numbers in and go 4.55625, or 4.56m max height. This came from the original 1.8m height added to .5g*(.75s^2) from the first equation, as Yi=1.8 and Vyi atthe halfway point of .75s was 0m/s.

There were no angles given. How have I screwed this up? Apparently my answer is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

You've used 20 m/s as the initial x-velocity in order to solve for the time in the air. However, 20 m/s is the total initial velocity, not just the velocity in the x-direction.

There is an expression for the range of the projectile in terms of the initial speed and the launch angle. You don't know the launch angle, but you can solve for it, since you are given the range.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of mastering physics chapter 3 frustration?

The purpose of mastering physics chapter 3 frustration is to help students understand and master the concepts of physics through challenging and frustrating problems. This chapter focuses on topics such as motion, forces, and Newton's laws.

2. Why is mastering physics chapter 3 frustration important?

Mastering physics chapter 3 frustration is important because it allows students to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in the field of science. It also helps students to better understand and apply the principles of physics in real-world situations.

3. How can I overcome frustration while working on mastering physics chapter 3?

One way to overcome frustration while working on mastering physics chapter 3 is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. It is also helpful to take breaks and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.

4. What resources are available to help me with mastering physics chapter 3 frustration?

There are various resources available to help with mastering physics chapter 3 frustration. These can include online tutorials, practice problems, study groups, and seeking help from a teacher or tutor. The textbook and accompanying materials can also be useful resources.

5. How can I use mastering physics chapter 3 frustration to improve my understanding of physics?

By working through the challenging problems in mastering physics chapter 3 frustration, you can improve your understanding of physics by applying the principles and concepts you have learned in a practical way. It also allows you to identify any areas where you may need additional practice or review.