Match the equation with the Direction Field

In summary, the conversation discusses how to match a given equation to its corresponding direction field, using the concept of derivative and tangent lines. The person suggests looking for straight line solutions and using the derivative as the slope of the tangent line to find the matching direction field.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

Which of the following direction fields corresponds to the equation:

y' = y-t

I have attached an image of the direction fields

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I get that each arrow represents the slope of the function at that point, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to match the equation to the direction field without knowing what the function is.

Help is appreciated.

Attachments

• math 2214 quiz 2.png
    math 2214 quiz 2.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 456
Physics news on Phys.org
Try looking for straight line solutions, y = at+b.

As the derivative is graphically the slope of the tangent line at a given point on the function, at the point (t, y(t)) the direction field should match the value of y'.

1. How do I match an equation with a direction field?

To match an equation with a direction field, you will need to graph the equation and then plot the direction field on top of the graph. You can use a graphing calculator or software to do this, or you can do it manually by hand. Once the direction field is plotted, you can compare it to the graph of the equation and see which direction the arrows on the direction field are pointing in relation to the graph.

2. What is the purpose of matching an equation with a direction field?

The purpose of matching an equation with a direction field is to visually represent the solutions to the differential equation. The direction field shows the direction of the slope at different points on the graph, which can help us understand the behavior of the solution to the equation.

3. Do all equations have a corresponding direction field?

No, not all equations have a corresponding direction field. Only differential equations, which involve derivatives, have direction fields. This is because the direction field represents the slope of the solution to the equation, which is determined by the derivative of the equation.

4. Can direction fields help us solve differential equations?

Direction fields alone cannot solve differential equations, but they can provide useful information about the behavior of the solution. By analyzing the direction field, we can make predictions about the solution, such as where it will increase or decrease, and where it will have critical points.

5. How can I use a direction field to check my solution to a differential equation?

You can use a direction field to check your solution to a differential equation by comparing the direction field to the graph of your solution. The direction field should match the slope of your solution at different points on the graph. If there are any discrepancies, it may indicate an error in your solution.