Materials science book recommendation

In summary: Overall, it would be a valuable supplement to your materials science class.In summary, the conversation was about a student looking for an English-language textbook to supplement their materials science class in Korea. The specific class was "MECHANICAL BEHAVIOR OF MATERIALS" and the syllabus included topics such as stress and strain, thermal stress, and fracture behavior of materials. The student asked for book recommendations, and an expert suggested Mechanics of Materials by James M. Gere and Barry J. Goodno as a comprehensive and helpful resource for the class.
kylera
I posted this in a different board, but I think this is a better place, so I'm reposting.

I'm taking a materials science class (in Korea) but I'd like a decent English-language textbook to supplement the class-recommended material. The specific class name in English is "MECHANICAL BEHAVIOR OF MATERIALS" and the syllabus is as follows:

Week # - Material (pun not intended) to cover
1 - o. Introduction to mechanics of materials / o. Elements of mechanics of materials
2 - o. Stress and strain / o. Stress-strain diagram
3 - o. Thermal stress / o. Analysis of stress and strain / o. Simple stress on inclined sections
4 - o. Simple stress and Mohr`s circle / o. Biaxial stress
5 - o. Biaxial stress and Mohr`s circle / o. Plane stress and Principal stress and Mohr`s circle
6 - o. Properties of plane figure / o. moment of inertia and parallel axis theorem / o. Shearing force of a beam and bending moment
7 - o. Shearing force diagram (S.F.D.) and bending moment diagram (B.M.D.) / o. Bending stress of a beam and flexure formula / o. Deflection of a beam
8 - Midterms
9 - o. Strength and fracture behavior of materials / o. Theoretical strength and actual
strength of materials
10 - o. Griffith equation and Irwin equation / o. Probability of failure and Weibull statistics
11 - o. Fatigue and fracture of materials / o. Life prediction of materials
12 - o. Thermal shock fracture of materials / o. Thermal shock fracture resistance
13 - o. Thermal shock damage resistance / o. Some theory of thermal shock fracture
14 - o. Strength degradation by thermal shock / o. Thermal fatigue phenomena of materials
15 - o. Creep of materials
16 - Finals

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd greatly appreciate any book recommendations. Thanks!A great textbook for this class would be Mechanics of Materials by James M. Gere and Barry J. Goodno. It covers all the topics listed in the syllabus and is written in an accessible, easy-to-understand style. It also includes plenty of worked examples, illustrations, and practice problems to help you understand the material.

As a materials scientist, I highly recommend the textbook "Mechanical Behavior of Materials" by Marc André Meyers and Krishan Kumar Chawla. This book covers all the topics listed in your syllabus and provides a comprehensive understanding of the mechanical behavior of materials. It also includes examples and practice problems to reinforce the concepts learned in class. Additionally, the authors have extensive experience in the field of materials science and their expertise is evident in the book. I believe this textbook will greatly supplement your class and enhance your understanding of the subject.

What is the best materials science book for beginners?

The best materials science book for beginners is "Introduction to Materials Science" by William D. Callister Jr. and David G. Rethwisch. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the field, covering the basic concepts and principles.

What materials science book covers advanced topics?

"Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction" by William D. Callister Jr. and David G. Rethwisch is a great book for advanced topics in materials science. It covers a wide range of materials, from metals and ceramics to polymers and composites, and delves into more complex concepts and applications.

Can you recommend a materials science book that focuses on a specific material?

There are many materials science books that focus on a specific material, such as "The Science and Engineering of Materials" by Donald R. Askeland and Pradeep P. Fulay, which focuses on metals and alloys. "Introduction to Polymers" by Robert J. Young and Peter A. Lovell is a great book for those interested in polymers, while "Introduction to Ceramics" by W.D. Kingery, H.K. Bowen, and D.R. Uhlmann covers the fundamentals of ceramics.

What is the most comprehensive materials science book?

The most comprehensive materials science book is "Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction" by William D. Callister Jr. and David G. Rethwisch. It covers a wide range of materials and includes in-depth explanations of concepts, properties, and applications.

What materials science book is best for self-study?

For self-study, "Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction" by William D. Callister Jr. and David G. Rethwisch is a great choice. It is written in a clear and accessible manner, with helpful examples and practice problems to reinforce understanding. "Materials Science and Engineering: A First Course" by V. Raghavan is also a good option for self-study, as it includes real-world examples and applications to engage readers.