Math/Physics Bachelors Degree?

In summary, pursuing a math or physics degree may lead to a research career, but it will require dedication and hard work to be successful in the field.
gebrial
Okay, so right now I'm scheduled to go to University for Aerospace Engineering but I'm having second thoughts. I got into it b/c I love math and physics and I thought that since I also love everything space related this would be the perfect program for me.

Now I'm thinking that I should go directly into a math or physics program. I think that I would enjoy the program itself as well as the possibility of a research career after university. I realize that I would probably have to get a Masters, or more likely a PhD, but I can do that.

My only problem is I don't know how hard or easy it is to get a career in research. I'd much rather be a "mathematician" if they are still around, but being a physicist is not bad at all.

tl;dr what would it take to get into a research career in math or physics. This means what level of degree and how hard would it be after I get it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Getting into a research career in math or physics will require a high level of education, usually at least a master's degree. You may even need to pursue a PhD depending on the type of research you are interested in. The difficulty of getting a research career largely depends on the field you are looking into. Depending on the field, there may be more competition for positions or more opportunities available. It also depends on the quality of your research and the amount of experience and knowledge you have in the field. You may want to look into internships or other research opportunities to gain experience and increase your chances of getting a research career.

1. What career opportunities are available with a Math/Physics Bachelors Degree?

A degree in math or physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, finance, data science, research, and education. Some specific job titles may include mathematician, physicist, data analyst, financial analyst, and teacher.

2. What skills will I acquire with a Math/Physics Bachelors Degree?

Through a math or physics degree, you will develop strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. You will also gain a deep understanding of mathematical and physical concepts, as well as the ability to interpret and analyze data.

3. Is a Math/Physics Bachelors Degree challenging?

Yes, a math or physics degree can be challenging as it involves complex mathematical and scientific concepts. However, with hard work, dedication, and a passion for the subject, it can also be a rewarding and fulfilling experience.

4. Can I pursue a graduate degree with a Math/Physics Bachelors Degree?

Yes, many students with a math or physics bachelors degree go on to pursue graduate degrees in various fields such as physics, mathematics, engineering, and computer science. A graduate degree can open up even more career opportunities and higher-paying jobs.

5. What can I expect from a Math/Physics Bachelors Degree program?

A math or physics degree program typically includes a combination of theoretical coursework, lab work, and hands-on projects. You can expect to learn advanced mathematical and physical concepts, as well as develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills through challenging assignments and projects.