Resistor Math Problem: Finding Equivalent Resistance in Series and Parallel

• Thread starter Ithryndil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistors
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the resistance of two resistors connected in series and in parallel. The equations used are Req = R1 + R2 for series and 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 for parallel. The attempt at solving the problem involves solving a quadratic equation. One person suggests using a quadratic program on a calculator to make the process easier and less prone to mistakes.
Ithryndil

Homework Statement

Two resistors connected in series have an equivalent resistance of 744.7 Ω. When they are connected in parallel, their equivalent resistance is 130.4 Ω. Find the resistance of each resistor.
Ω (small resistance)
Ω (large resistance)

Homework Equations

Req = R1 + R2 for Series.
1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 for Parallel.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I began by solving one for R1 and plugging it into the other...

If I solve the first one I get R1 = Req - R2. Let's call Req, Reqs for Equivalent Resistance in series. Let's call Reqp the Equivalent Resistance in parallel.

So I plug into the other one:

1/Reqp = 1/ (Reqs - R2) + 1/R2

Messing around I am able to get:
R2Reqs - R2^2 = Reqs*Reqp However when I graph if there is no sign change... I've done it a few times so I don't think it's my algebra.

Physics news on Phys.org

Try to solve the quadratic equation.
It seems OK to me. Actually I've solved it and it has two real solutions.
You did OK.
Good luck.

Hey,
yeah when i used quadratic eq. it seemed to work out fine.

I learned resistors with the equation (R1*R2)/(R1+R2) which is the same thing simplified, but i always find htis one easier.

Anyway, it seems like you just about had it, just needed to finish it off with the eq and you would have it.

Ithryndil said:

Homework Statement

Two resistors connected in series have an equivalent resistance of 744.7 Ω. When they are connected in parallel, their equivalent resistance is 130.4 Ω. Find the resistance of each resistor.
Ω (small resistance)
Ω (large resistance)

Homework Equations

Req = R1 + R2 for Series.
1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 for Parallel.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I began by solving one for R1 and plugging it into the other...

If I solve the first one I get R1 = Req - R2. Let's call Req, Reqs for Equivalent Resistance in series. Let's call Reqp the Equivalent Resistance in parallel.

So I plug into the other one:

1/Reqp = 1/ (Reqs - R2) + 1/R2

Messing around I am able to get:
R2Reqs - R2^2 = Reqs*Reqp However when I graph if there is no sign change... I've done it a few times so I don't think it's my algebra.

Your equation is ok, but you need to solve the quadratic, and since the 4ac term is positive you should have a real result.

Bah, it must have been a stupid graphic error on my calculator. I knew I needed to solve the quadratic and must have just goofed when inputting on my calculator to graph and then find where it intersects y = 0. Thanks.

I'm guessing that by the way you are talking, you have either a TI-83, or maybe a more advanced. If you are only using an 83 or 84, which is what most people have, there's a very easy quadratic program that you can put in there, (like write yourself) so you don't even need a cord to hook it up to your PC. I made one for mine, and it really comes in handy, because not only its quicker, but then it lessens any stupid mistakes you might make, (like accidently not putting a negative, or having to deal with a window issue for graphing).

So this isn't the exact same as the one i made, but it definately works, just might be one step more than needed. http://www.math.montana.edu/math105/QuadProg.html

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electrical component that is used to limit the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is usually made of a material that has high resistance to the flow of electricity, such as carbon, metal, or ceramic.

How do I calculate the resistance of a resistor?

The resistance of a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). This can be represented by the equation R=V/I. The unit of resistance is ohms (Ω).

What is the difference between series and parallel resistors?

In a series circuit, resistors are connected in a single path, and the total resistance is equal to the sum of each individual resistor. In a parallel circuit, resistors are connected in multiple paths, and the total resistance is less than the resistance of the smallest individual resistor.

How do I calculate the total resistance of resistors in series or parallel?

The total resistance of resistors in series is calculated by simply adding the individual resistances. For resistors in parallel, the total resistance can be calculated by using the equation 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ..., where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances.

What is the purpose of resistors in a circuit?

Resistors are used in circuits to control the flow of electricity and to protect other components from damage. They can also be used to divide voltage, limit current, and create voltage drops for specific purposes.