Math Reu Season 2016: Results & Questions

In summary: For all that care, TAMU's number theory group has filled it's 5 spots. Also I emailed IPAM and MSRI to be told, essentially no. That is they sent out first offers... but have not heard anything back.In summary, many programs have released first offers and some have not. Some programs wait until the last minute to send out rejections, while others send them out right away. The most important thing is to reject any offers you do not need or want.
Physics news on Phys.org
First offers for Emory have been sent out.

I applied to a fair amount already, and still have a few more to go. I was just wondering if anyone has knowledge on which programs actually send rejection letters, and which ones don't - that information would help a lot! Thanks for the help!

Several groups for SMALL have already sent out acceptances

I got an email from UCLA that I'm on the shortlist and that they are working on setting up interviews.

UCSB also started to send out acceptances, some got them a few days ago, I got mine today.

Mathy Name Here said:
I applied to a fair amount already, and still have a few more to go. I was just wondering if anyone has knowledge on which programs actually send rejection letters, and which ones don't - that information would help a lot! Thanks for the help!

Last year many programs I did not get in did not reject me, not in a timely manner at least. After I got an offer and it was the last week, I started to email some places I applied to and got a response that way. I recommend you do that same, but wait for a bit?

Remember to reject any offers you do not need/want it can help someone!

What time would you think is best to start asking for my application status?

That's up to you, personally I would wait until march, I will be asking a few days before the 3/8 deadline.

That's a good idea, thanks for your help. I haven't gotten any responses back yet which I hope isn't a bad omen :/ Good luck to you!

Last year I got my responses (along with a few other people I know) in late feb (like 5ish days from now) to early march. Don't worry, you got this! Also on 3/9 a lot of spots will probably open up.

I believe Duluth, UMN Twin Cities, and SMALL have sent out first offers already. I was rejected from Duluth, accepted to UMN, and shortlisted at SMALL. Have people gotten off the shortlist in the past?

Also, anyone have thoughts on the UMN program? I'm probably going to attend one of these two programs since I didn't apply to many programs, but am wondering if waiting on this shortlist is worth it or not for the next two weeks.

Has anyone heard from Clemson or Berkeley? Both had deadlines more than a week ago, and it seems like several programs respond in that timeframe.

grothendieck said:
Has anyone heard from Clemson or Berkeley? Both had deadlines more than a week ago, and it seems like several programs respond in that timeframe.
I had a friend get accepted to Berkeley already (the one on curvature shortening flow).

mathers101 said:
I had a friend get accepted to Berkeley already (the one on curvature shortening flow).
Thanks for the info. I applied to the other group, but I'm sure they sent out offers around the same time.

TAMU sent some offers.

gekko912397124 said:
I believe Duluth, UMN Twin Cities, and SMALL have sent out first offers already. I was rejected from Duluth, accepted to UMN, and shortlisted at SMALL. Have people gotten off the shortlist in the past?

Also, anyone have thoughts on the UMN program? I'm probably going to attend one of these two programs since I didn't apply to many programs, but am wondering if waiting on this shortlist is worth it or not for the next two weeks.

I did the UMN program last year---it is fantastic. Many of the mentors are incredible, especially Vic Reiner. Many of the groups involved produced immediately publishable results. It has a good reputation in the math community for producing high-level results (for an REU). Also, many of my peers at the REU were extremely intelligent. IMO (which may be biased), it's at least as good as SMALL, if not better.

Does anyone know if the Michigan REU has released offers yet?

@orangeyouglad I don't know if they released offers, but last year they rejected me on March 11, so maybe that could give you an idea of how long you'll wait to hear any sort of news.

Has anyone heard from San Bernadino, Willamette, or Lafayette?

Lafayette's deadline was just 3 days ago, so there's a pretty good chance that they haven't sent out any offers yet.

orangeyouglad said:
Does anyone know if the Michigan REU has released offers yet?

I sent them an email and was told that they likely will have their decisions finalized around mid March.

I got an offer from Oregon State.

I got an offer from NCSU. Does anyone know anything about it?

For all that care, TAMU's number theory group has filled it's 5 spots. Also I emailed IPAM and MSRI to be told, essentially no. That is they sent out first offers already.

@n-dimen do you know if MSRI sends emails or actual mail for the acceptance letter? I was really hoping to get into their REU. And now that you mentioned they sent out their first offers already, I'm thinking I got rejected. I'm very new to all this so I don't know how it works. Thank you.

MelonLord said:
@n-dimen do you know if MSRI sends emails or actual mail for the acceptance letter? I was really hoping to get into their REU. And now that you mentioned they sent out their first offers already, I'm thinking I got rejected. I'm very new to all this so I don't know how it works. Thank you.
You could email them to ask. I would guess any and all places email instead of like USPS mail, they want to get yes/no's fast and snail mail doesn't do that.

n-dimen said:
You could email them to ask. I would guess any and all places email instead of like USPS mail, they want to get yes/no's fast and snail mail doesn't do that.

I see, thanks. I guess I should still keep my hopes of getting in alive!

clemson replied to people? I mean I am pretty sure they did, just wondering

here's some other places that sent offers:
-NC State
-University of Washington Bothell

Does anyone know anything about NC State?

@n-dimen This is a bit late but for what it's worth, MSRI sent me a rejection letter last year. So they will likely send you one eventually if you don't get in

For anyone that got accepted to MSRI-UP, what was the deadline they gave you to make your decision?

1. What is Math Reu Season 2016?

Math Reu Season 2016 is a program that brings together undergraduate students interested in mathematics for a summer research experience. It is typically hosted by a university and provides opportunities for students to work on research projects, attend lectures and workshops, and network with other students and faculty.

2. What are the results of Math Reu Season 2016?

The results of Math Reu Season 2016 vary depending on the specific program and the research projects that were undertaken. However, many students report gaining valuable research experience, expanding their knowledge of mathematics, and forming connections with other students and faculty.

3. How can I apply for Math Reu Season 2016?

The application process for Math Reu Season 2016 varies depending on the specific program. Generally, students must submit an application, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and possibly a personal statement. It is important to check the specific program's website for application deadlines and requirements.

4. Is Math Reu Season 2016 only for math majors?

No, Math Reu Season 2016 is open to undergraduate students from all majors who have a strong interest in mathematics and are looking to gain research experience. However, some programs may have specific eligibility requirements, so it is important to check the program's website for more information.

5. Can I participate in Math Reu Season 2016 if I am an international student?

Yes, international students are welcome to apply for Math Reu Season 2016. However, some programs may have specific eligibility requirements for international students, so it is important to check the program's website for more information. Additionally, international students may need to obtain a visa in order to participate in the program.