Why is Mathematica giving an error when trying to plot xe^{-x}?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, there could be various reasons for Mathematica not working properly, such as software conflicts, outdated drivers, or insufficient memory. To troubleshoot errors, you can try restarting the program or updating/reinstalling it, and check documentation or forums for solutions. Code may not run due to syntax errors, missing packages, or incorrect input. To improve performance, close other programs/processes, allocate more memory, and use efficient coding techniques. If Mathematica is not responding, try restarting it or force quitting/restarting your computer and save work frequently.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

I am trying to plot [tex]xe^{-x}[/tex] by using Plot[x*e^(-x), {x, 0, 5}] and it keeps telling me that

Plot::exclul: must be a list of equalities or real-valued functions.

So I tried

Plot[x*e^(-x), {x, 0, 5}, PlotRange -> {-10, 10}]

Still not working

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using 'Exp[-x]' for the exponential rather than 'e^(-x)'.

1. Why does Mathematica keep crashing or freezing?

There could be several reasons for Mathematica not working properly, such as software conflicts, outdated drivers, or insufficient memory. It is recommended to update the software and drivers, close any other programs that may be causing conflicts, and make sure your computer meets the minimum system requirements for Mathematica.

2. How do I troubleshoot errors in Mathematica?

If you encounter errors while using Mathematica, you can try restarting the program or your computer, updating the software, or reinstalling the program. You can also check the Mathematica documentation or forums for specific error messages to find solutions.

3. Why is my code not running in Mathematica?

There could be multiple reasons for code not running in Mathematica, such as syntax errors, missing packages or functions, or incorrect input. Double check your code for any errors, make sure all necessary packages are loaded, and ensure your input is correct.

4. How can I improve Mathematica's performance?

To improve Mathematica's performance, you can try closing any other programs or processes that may be using a lot of resources, increasing the amount of memory allocated to Mathematica, and using efficient coding techniques. You can also refer to the Mathematica documentation for tips on optimizing code.

5. What should I do if Mathematica is not responding?

If Mathematica is not responding, try closing the program and restarting it. If the issue persists, you may need to force quit the program or restart your computer. It is also recommended to save your work frequently to avoid losing any unsaved changes.