Mathematical Quantum Field Theory - Field Variations - Comments

In summary: This is just a typo, I think.In summary, the author is talking about the following:- A differential form representing the field variation- Keeping track of the sign of orientation of the infinitesimal volume spanned by the form- The order of the two 1-forms in the wedge product
Urs Schreiber
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

Mathematical Quantum Field Theory - Field Variations
qtf_field_variations2.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Attachments

• qtf_field_variations2.png
    qtf_field_variations2.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 785
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
In leadup to Prop 4.5: maybe say "physical jet bundle" for a jet bundle restricted by equations of motion?
Or should we say "jet sub-variety"?

I know you don't really get into this until ch5 where (I guess?) you impose(?) a specific Lagrangian (action?) on a generic jet bundle, restricting the latter to the ("on-shell"?) subspace satisfying the EoM arising from the Lagrangian? Still, the distinction needs clearer terminology, imho.

Btw, there's a typo in defn 4.7: "Monkowski"

Likes Urs Schreiber
strangerep said:
I know you don't really get into this until ch5 where (I guess?) you impose(?) a specific Lagrangian (action?) on a generic jet bundle, restricting the latter to the ("on-shell"?) subspace satisfying the EoM arising from the Lagrangian?

Yes! All this is now in 5. Lagrangians.

There is considered the "shell" as a subspace ## \mathcal{E} \hookrightarrow J^\infty_\Sigma(E)## of the jet bundle, the vanishing locus of the Euler-Lagrange form, as well as the "prolonged shell" ##\mathcal{E}^\infty \hookrightarrow J^\infty_\Sigma(E)## which is the smaller vanishing locus also of all the "differential consequences" of the equations of motion.

strangerep said:
Or should we say "jet sub-variety"?

In good cases this is a sub-manifold/sub-variety (or rather sub-locally-pro-supermanifold), but this is not necessary for the theory to proceed. The subspace always exists as as super smooth set, and that is all we need.

strangerep said:
In leadup to Prop 4.5: maybe say "physical jet bundle" for a jet bundle restricted by equations of motion?
the distinction needs clearer terminology, imho.

Okay, could you give me more precise coordinates in which line you'd like to see the wording improved? I am not sure I see which line you have in mind "in leadup toProp.4.5". Thanks.
strangerep said:
there's a typo in defn 4.7: "Monkowski"

Thanks! Fixed now.

[URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/author/urs-schreiber/']Urs Schreiber[/URL] said:
Okay, could you give me more precise coordinates in which line you'd like to see the wording improved? I am not sure I see which line you have in mind "in leadup to Prop.4.5".
I'm not sure either. Let me read your "Lagrangians" chapter first, and then (possibly) come back to this.

Btw, my background in this comes from dynamical symmetries in ordinary classical mechanics, where one works within a much simpler version of a generic jet bundle, i.e., particle position(s) and all time derivatives thereof. I'm not sure whether one should still call that a "jet bundle", though. (?)

strangerep said:
simpler version of a generic jet bundle, i.e., particle position(s) and all time derivatives thereof. I'm not sure whether one should still call that a "jet bundle", though. (?)

Yes, this is the jet bundle of the bundle ##\mathbb{R}^1 \times X \overset{pr_1}{\longrightarrow}\mathbb{R}^1## where ##\mathbb{R}^1## is thought of as the time axis, and where ##X## is the manifold inside which the particles roam. (This is field theory in dimension ## p + 1 = 0 + 1##.)

Likes strangerep
Near the end of example 4.11:
[URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/author/urs-schreiber/' said:
Urs Schreiber[/URL]]$$d(\delta\phi^a) ~=~ - \delta(d\phi^a) ~=~ \dots $$In words this says that “the spacetime derivative of the variation of the field is the variation of its spacetime derivative”.
Is this just sloppy wording, or does the minus sign somehow not mean anything here? :oldconfused:

Likes dextercioby
strangerep said:
does the minus sign somehow not mean anything here?

We are looking at a differential 2-form, which is the wedge product of a field variation ##\delta \phi^a## with the change ##d x^\mu## in spacetime position. As always for differential forms, we keep track with a sign of the orientation of the infinitesimal volume spanned by this 2-form.

You may change the order of the two 1-forms in the wedge product and equivalently write

$$ d (\delta \phi^a) = d x^\mu \wedge \delta \phi^a_{,\mu} $$

1. What is Mathematical Quantum Field Theory?

Mathematical Quantum Field Theory (MQFT) is a branch of theoretical physics that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and field theory to describe the behavior of subatomic particles. It provides a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the interactions of particles at a fundamental level.

2. What are field variations in MQFT?

In MQFT, fields are mathematical objects that describe the properties of particles, such as their position, momentum, and spin. Field variations refer to changes in these properties over time or space. They are important in understanding how particles interact and behave in different physical situations.

3. How are field variations calculated in MQFT?

Field variations are calculated using mathematical equations called field equations. These equations describe how fields change and interact with each other in different physical scenarios. Solving these equations can help us understand the behavior of particles and predict their properties.

4. What are the applications of MQFT?

MQFT has a wide range of applications in modern physics, including particle physics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics. It is used to study the behavior of subatomic particles, understand the properties of the universe, and describe the behavior of materials at a microscopic level.

5. What are some challenges of studying MQFT?

MQFT is a complex and highly mathematical theory, making it challenging to understand and apply. It also requires advanced mathematical techniques and calculations, which can be time-consuming and difficult. Additionally, there are still many unanswered questions and unresolved issues in MQFT, making it an active area of research.