Mathematical Quantum Field Theory - Observables - Comments

In summary, the PF Insights post titled "Mathematical Quantum Field Theory - Observables" discusses the concept of observables in QFT and addresses some typos in the original post. It clarifies the definition of observables on fermionic fields and explains the correspondence between morphisms and global points in the space of field histories. The post also mentions the zero linear observable for fermions and how it can still observe even powers of fermionic fields. The post has been updated to correct the typos and provide further explanation.
Urs Schreiber
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

Mathematical Quantum Field Theory - Observables
qtf_observables.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Attachments

• qtf_observables.png
    qtf_observables.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 895
Likes bhobba and dextercioby
Physics news on Phys.org
Typo near "linear off-shell observables": $$A(\Phi_1+\Phi_2) ~ A(\Phi_1)+A(\phi_2)$$ I.e., "=" sign is missing, and 2nd phi is lower case.

And further down... "field field histories"

Also: "...in that that subset of field histories..."

Last edited:
Likes Urs Schreiber
strangerep said:
Typo

Thanks! All fixed now.

Another typo: hiorizontal

strangerep said:
Another typo

Thanks again! Also fixed now.

I have troubles with the comment about observables on fermionic fields (under the definition of observables)
1. Why ##Obs = [\Gamma_\Sigma(E_{odd}) , \mathbb{C}]## has only 1 point?

I assume that when we talk about "points", we're using ##Obs(\mathbb{R}^0) ##. However,
$$
\begin{align*}
Obs(\mathbb{R}^0) &= \{\mathbb{R}^0 \rightarrow Obs \} \\
&= \{\mathbb{R}^0 \rightarrow [\Gamma_\Sigma(E) , \mathbb{C}] \}\\
&= \{\mathbb{R}^0 \times \Gamma_\Sigma(E) \rightarrow \mathbb{C} \} \\
&= \{\Gamma_\Sigma(E) \rightarrow \mathbb{C} \}
\end{align*}
$$
(this is true for both ##E = E_{even}## and ##E=E_{odd}##.) We know that ##\Gamma_\Sigma(E_{odd})## has only 1 "point" (the zero-section), and so hand-wavvily I would assume that there are several morphisms going from that unique "point" to ##\mathbb{C}## which correspond to several "points" in ##Obs = [\Gamma_\Sigma(E_{odd}) , \mathbb{C}]##.

2. What is the map ##(\theta \mapsto \theta A): \mathbb{R}^{0|1} \rightarrow Obs ##? (The notation seems suggesting but I could not yield any conclusion.)

I am inclined to think this is an extension/consequence of the correspondence between a morphism ##\psi_{(-)}:\mathbb{R}^{0|1} \rightarrow \Gamma_\Sigma(E_{odd}) ## and a morphism ##\phi_{(-)}:\mathbb{R}^{0} \rightarrow \Gamma_\Sigma(E_{even}) ##, but I haven't been successful to see how.

Last edited:
Likes Urs Schreiber
Duong said:
I have troubles with the comment about observables on fermionic fields (under the definition of observables)

Thanks for catching this. Indeed this comment was wrong as stated. I was trying to say that these global points of the space of field histories of the Dirac field always yield the zero linear observable for the fermions (i.e cannot observe ##\mathbf{\Psi}^\alpha(x)##), but of course they do see the even powers, such as ##\mathbf{\Psi}^\alpha(x) \cdot \mathbf{\Psi}^\beta(x)##. I have corrected the statement in that comment and added a new example that says this in some detail, now here

Likes Duong and dextercioby
Thanks! I think I got what you meant. Then perhaps still in that comment there're a few typos:

1. The plot ##\mathbb{R}^{0|1} \rightarrow Obs## should be specified by ## c\mapsto \theta \mathbf{\Psi}^\alpha##.
2. (in the line below) The bosonic-observable component should be ## \mathbf{\Psi}^\alpha ## instead of ##\Pi##.

I think it is useful to add that the bosonic observable which originally is of even degree now is regarded as of odd-degree (so that ##\theta \mathbf{\Psi}^\alpha ## is of even degree), and this fact is made possible by Prop. 3.51. Also, I think it is very nice to keep the mentioning of "the zero linear observable" if we insist on thinking of the observables as "points".

Last edited:
Likes Urs Schreiber and dextercioby
Duong said:
Then perhaps still in that comment there're a few typos:

Right, thanks again. Should be fixed now.

What is mathematical quantum field theory?

Mathematical quantum field theory is a branch of theoretical physics that combines principles of quantum mechanics and classical field theory to study the behavior of particles in a quantum system.

What are observables in mathematical quantum field theory?

Observables are physical quantities that can be measured in a quantum system. They represent properties of the system that can be observed and have well-defined values.

What is the role of observables in mathematical quantum field theory?

Observables play a crucial role in mathematical quantum field theory as they are used to describe the behavior and interactions of particles in a quantum system. They are also important in making predictions and calculations about the system.

How are observables represented in mathematical quantum field theory?

In mathematical quantum field theory, observables are represented by operators, which are mathematical objects that act on the wave function of the system. These operators have corresponding eigenvalues, which represent the possible values of the observable that can be measured.

What are some examples of observables in mathematical quantum field theory?

Some examples of observables in mathematical quantum field theory include energy, momentum, and spin. These observables can have different values depending on the state of the system and can be used to describe the behavior and interactions of particles in the system.