Word Processor for Math & Greek Symbols

In summary, the equation editor in Microsoft Word is nice, but Scientific Notebook is better and is free.
JEscribir
I was wondering if there is some verison of Word~or something like it,in which it has virtually all the math operators and greek letters. So then you could write elegant formulas and equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I have just found the LaTex math typesetting post on this site.

Microsoft Word itself has nice math formatting.

Click on "insert" on the menu bar- then the "object" sub-menu, scroll down to "microsoft equation 3.0". If you've not ever used it before you might have to wait while Word loads it from memory, possibly even asking you to put the "Microsoft Word" cd in the drive- although that has never happened to me.
If, like me, you use it a lot, you will want to put the "equation" icon on your tool bar. Click on "tools", then "Customize". Click on the "Commands" tab, click on "insert" then scroll down the box until you find "equation"- drag it to your tool bar.

I never knew that, Thanks.:smile:

You may also be interested in Open Office (free) or Star Office (slightly better for a decent price) which both have a great (IMHO) equation editor. It's a matter of preference but I like it much more than the point and click approach of MS Word. It's actually even better than the WordPerfect equation editor if that helps as a reference. BTW, those two packages are highly compatible with MSWord though I haven't tried to convert documents containing equations (I rarely use Word).

What I use most often, however, is Scientific Notebook which contains the muPAD engine which is a powerful computer algebra/calculus package. It doesn't have all the flexibility of the full blown muPAD package (which I also use extensively and supports plotting) but that's a minor point. SN is LaTeX based but hides all the complexity from the user. It's also low cost!

Bleh! I hate the Word equation editor.

Scientific Notebook is pretty nice, although I just prefer writing LaTeX directly. It's really not hard to pick up.

http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/" by Design Science is nice, but it's $99 (academic pricing).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Word Processor for Math & Greek Symbols

1. What is a "Word Processor for Math & Greek Symbols"?

A "Word Processor for Math & Greek Symbols" is a type of software that allows users to easily create and edit mathematical and Greek symbols within a document. It is specifically designed for use in writing equations, formulas, and other mathematical expressions.

2. What are the benefits of using a Word Processor for Math & Greek Symbols?

The main benefit of using a Word Processor for Math & Greek Symbols is that it simplifies the process of creating and editing complex mathematical expressions. It also ensures that the symbols are accurately displayed and formatted, saving time and effort for the user.

3. Can I use a Word Processor for Math & Greek Symbols in any language?

Yes, most Word Processors for Math & Greek Symbols have the ability to support multiple languages, including non-Latin scripts. However, it is important to check the specific software's language capabilities before use.

4. Is a Word Processor for Math & Greek Symbols compatible with other word processing software?

Yes, a Word Processor for Math & Greek Symbols can typically be used in conjunction with other word processing software. Many programs allow users to copy and paste equations and symbols into documents created in other software.

5. Are there any free options for a Word Processor for Math & Greek Symbols?

Yes, there are some free options available for a Word Processor for Math & Greek Symbols, such as Google Docs and LibreOffice. However, these may have limited features compared to paid software options.