Matlab and preparing matrix lines

In summary, the conversation discusses how to create a matrix of qx values corresponding to different values of U in a Matlab program. One option is to use intermediate matrices to ensure the dimensions agree and avoid using a for loop.
hokhani
In the Matlab program below

U=[210; 100; 150]
ky= linspace(-.2,.2);
qx=sqrt(((150-U)/.2)^2-ky.^2)

I want to have qx as a matrix in which each row is corresponding to one value of U: the first row corresponds to 210, the second to 100 and ... How should I do this? (I want to avoid the "for loop" if possible).

Physics news on Phys.org
One way would be to make intermediate matrices so that the dimensions agree.
U2 = U * ones(1,100);
Y2 = ones(3,1)*ky;
Then your function will be referring to the same index in both reference matrix.
There might be a better way that is more effecient with your storage space, but for reasonably sized problems, this would do the trick.

Likes hokhani

Related to Matlab and preparing matrix lines

1. What is Matlab and how is it used for preparing matrix lines?

Matlab is a programming language and numerical computing environment used by scientists and engineers for data analysis, visualization, and modeling. It is specifically designed for working with matrices, making it an ideal tool for preparing matrix lines.

2. How do I create a matrix in Matlab?

To create a matrix in Matlab, you can use the zeros, ones, or eye functions, or manually input the elements using square brackets. For example, A = [1 2 3; 4 5 6; 7 8 9]; will create a 3x3 matrix with the specified elements.

3. Can I perform mathematical operations on matrices in Matlab?

Yes, Matlab has a wide range of built-in functions for performing mathematical operations on matrices such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. You can also use the .* and ./ operators for element-wise operations.

4. How do I access and modify specific elements in a matrix in Matlab?

You can access individual elements in a matrix using indexing. The syntax is A(row, column), where A is the matrix name, and the row and column represent the position of the element you want to access. To modify an element, you can simply assign a new value to it, for example, A(2,3) = 10; will change the element in the second row and third column to 10.

5. How can I prepare matrix lines for data analysis in Matlab?

To prepare matrix lines for data analysis in Matlab, you can use the importdata function to read in data from a file or manually input the data into a matrix. You can then use various built-in functions and tools in Matlab to analyze and visualize the data in the matrix, such as mean, std, plot, and histogram.