Plotting Bifurcation Diagrams in MATLAB: Finer Point Options

In summary, the person is creating bifurcation diagrams for school and is looking for ways to improve the visual quality. They ask about getting a finer point in the plot and are curious about other options for plotting in Matlab.
gogetagritz
I'm making some bifurcation diagrams for school and was wondering if there is any way to get a finer point than just saying plot(a,b,'.') ? Mine get the point across, but would look better if they were finer.

-thnx

Physics news on Phys.org
gogetagritz said:
I'm making some bifurcation diagrams for school and was wondering if there is any way to get a finer point than just saying plot(a,b,'.') ? Mine get the point across, but would look better if they were finer.

-thnx

How are your data stored and what do you want to see exactly?. There are more options of plotting in Matlab. (Some of them are hidden in the dark, nobody knows about it). :biggrin:

Yes, there are a few options you can try to get a finer point in your bifurcation diagrams in MATLAB. One option is to change the 'MarkerSize' property in your plot function. For example, you can try using a smaller value like plot(a,b,'Marker','.','MarkerSize',2) to get a finer point.

Another option is to use the 'MarkerEdgeColor' property to make the points stand out more. You can try using a different color for the points, such as black or a bright color, to make them more visible and give the appearance of a finer point.

Lastly, you can also try using the 'plot3' function instead of 'plot' to create a 3D plot, which can give the appearance of a finer point due to the added depth.

I hope these suggestions help you achieve the desired look for your bifurcation diagrams. Good luck with your project!

1. What is a bifurcation diagram?

A bifurcation diagram is a visual representation of how a system changes over time in response to a changing parameter. It shows the stable and unstable states of a system as the parameter varies, and can help identify the points at which the system undergoes a qualitative change in behavior.

2. How do I plot a bifurcation diagram in MATLAB?

To plot a bifurcation diagram in MATLAB, you will need to first define your system's equations and parameters. Then, use a loop to iterate through a range of values for the parameter, solving the equations at each step and plotting the results. You can also use built-in functions such as "bifurcation" or "ode45" to assist with the plotting process.

3. What are "finer point options" in MATLAB?

"Finer point options" refer to the additional settings and parameters that can be adjusted in MATLAB to customize the appearance of a plot, such as the line style, color, and marker type. These options allow you to make your bifurcation diagram more visually appealing and easier to interpret.

4. Can I plot bifurcation diagrams for any type of system in MATLAB?

Yes, MATLAB can be used to plot bifurcation diagrams for a wide range of systems, including differential equations, nonlinear maps, and chaotic systems. However, the specific method for plotting may vary depending on the type of system and the equations involved.

5. How can I use bifurcation diagrams in my scientific research?

Bifurcation diagrams can be a useful tool in studying the behavior of complex systems and identifying critical points or transitions in a system's behavior. They can also be used to understand the effects of different parameters on a system and explore potential solutions or patterns. In scientific research, bifurcation diagrams are commonly used in fields such as physics, biology, and economics.