1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix (Complex Numbers)

1. Nov 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The set of complex numbers C is a vector space over R. Note that {1, i} is the basis for C as a real vector space. Define:

T(z) = (3+4i)z

What is the matrix for T in the basis {1,i}

2. Relevant equations

Dimension of the matrix (n,m) = n x m

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the dimension of this matrix is 1 x i = i. But I don't know where to go from here. We haven't learned matrices for complex numbers, and I'm very confused by the concept of having something as i-dimensional.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should be confused about something being 'i dimensional'. The good news is that it is not. It's TWO dimensional. There are TWO 'vectors' in the basis, 1 and i. Split T(1) and T(i) into real and imaginary parts. Their coefficients are the columns of your matrix. Note the matrix of T is REAL.

4. Nov 28, 2007 #3
    so T(1) = 3+4i
    T(i) = 3i+4i^2 = 3i-4

so Mat T =

[ 3 4
    3 -4]

5. Nov 28, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try it out. 1=(1,0) and i=(0,1) (column vectors). If you do that you should realize that you should put (3,4) and (3,-4) into the columns, not the rows.

6. Nov 28, 2007 #5
    So should the matrix be

[3 3
    4 -4]

7. Nov 14, 2008 #6
    I think it should be
    [ 3 -4
    4 3 ]

8. Nov 14, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?