1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix determinants and inverses

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If A and S are n x n matrices with S invertible, show that det(S-1AS)=det(A). [HINT: Since S-1S=In, how are det(S-1) and det(S) related?]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Not sure. The only thing I can think of doing is substituting S-1S=In into det(S-1AS), so you have det(InA)=det(A), but I really don't know. Can somebody get me started so we can work through it?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. You should have proved det(AB)=det(A)*det(B). det(I)=1. Start from there.

4. Mar 3, 2009 #3
  5. Mar 3, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't seem to have payed any attention to the hint! "S-1S=In, how are det(S-1) and det(S) related?" I presume you know that det(AB)= det(A)det(B).

6. Mar 3, 2009 #5
    Is it:

det(S-1AS) = det(S-1S)det(A)

=det(In)det(A)

=1det(A)

=det(A)

????

7. Mar 3, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's true. But don't make it look like you think the matrices commute. S^(-1)AS is NOT necessarily equal to S^(-1)SA. But det(S^(-1)AS)=det(S^(-1))*det(A)*det(S). Now you can rearrange.

8. Mar 3, 2009 #7
    So first put them in 3 seperate determinants like you did, then move the S-1 next to S, then put it back together? Go backwards from two determinants multiplying each other to a single determinant, which would be equal to det(S-1S) ?

9. Mar 3, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's it exactly.

10. Mar 3, 2009 #9
    Thanks for the help :smile:

Just on a curious note, are there examples of when doing what I did in post #5 would be wrong, or is it just an incorrect way of solving?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook