Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Matrix determinants and inverses

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If A and S are n x n matrices with S invertible, show that det(S-1AS)=det(A). [HINT: Since S-1S=In, how are det(S-1) and det(S) related?]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Not sure. The only thing I can think of doing is substituting S-1S=In into det(S-1AS), so you have det(InA)=det(A), but I really don't know. Can somebody get me started so we can work through it?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. You should have proved det(AB)=det(A)*det(B). det(I)=1. Start from there.

4. Mar 3, 2009 #3
  5. Mar 3, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

You don't seem to have payed any attention to the hint! "S-1S=In, how are det(S-1) and det(S) related?" I presume you know that det(AB)= det(A)det(B).

6. Mar 3, 2009 #5
    Is it:

det(S-1AS) = det(S-1S)det(A)

=det(In)det(A)

=1det(A)

=det(A)

????

7. Mar 3, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's true. But don't make it look like you think the matrices commute. S^(-1)AS is NOT necessarily equal to S^(-1)SA. But det(S^(-1)AS)=det(S^(-1))*det(A)*det(S). Now you can rearrange.

8. Mar 3, 2009 #7
    So first put them in 3 seperate determinants like you did, then move the S-1 next to S, then put it back together? Go backwards from two determinants multiplying each other to a single determinant, which would be equal to det(S-1S) ?

9. Mar 3, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's it exactly.

10. Mar 3, 2009 #9
    Thanks for the help :smile:

Just on a curious note, are there examples of when doing what I did in post #5 would be wrong, or is it just an incorrect way of solving?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook