Solving Equations with [itex] ||x||_1=1[/tex]: Help Needed

In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to prove that ||A||_1 is greater than or equal to the maximum of the sum of the absolute values of the elements in each column of A. The person is asking for help and is given a hint to try proving it separately by finding an x with norm one for the first statement.
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to show
[tex]
||A||_1 \geq \max_{1\leq j\leq n}{\sum_{i=1}^n{|a_{ij}|}}
[/tex]
and
[tex]
||A||_1 \leq \max_{1\leq j\leq n}{\sum_{i=1}^n{|a_{ij}|}}
[/tex]
separately. Can you prover either of these statements?

Hint: For the first one it is enough to find an x with norm one such that
[tex]
||Ax||_1 \geq \max_{1\leq j\leq n}{\sum_{i=1}^n{|a_{ij}|}}
[/tex]

What does [itex] ||x||_1=1[/tex] mean?

The notation [itex] ||x||_1=1[/tex] refers to the L1 norm of the variable x, which is equal to 1. This means that the sum of the absolute values of all the elements in x is equal to 1.

How do I solve equations with [itex] ||x||_1=1[/tex]?

To solve equations with [itex] ||x||_1=1[/tex], you will need to manipulate the equation to isolate the variable x. Then, you can use algebraic techniques to solve for x. Keep in mind that the solution must satisfy the L1 norm of 1.

Are there any special properties of the L1 norm that can help with solving these equations?

Yes, there are a few properties of the L1 norm that can be useful in solving equations with [itex] ||x||_1=1[/tex]. For example, the L1 norm is non-negative, meaning it can only have values equal to or greater than 0. Additionally, the L1 norm is translation invariant, meaning that adding a constant to all elements in x will not change its L1 norm.

Can I use matrices or vectors in equations with [itex] ||x||_1=1[/tex]?

Yes, you can use matrices and vectors in equations with [itex] ||x||_1=1[/tex]. The L1 norm can be applied to matrices and vectors in the same way as it is applied to individual variables, by taking the sum of the absolute values of all elements in the matrix or vector.

Are there any real-world applications of solving equations with [itex] ||x||_1=1[/tex]?

Yes, the L1 norm has many applications in various fields such as statistics, signal processing, and machine learning. For example, it is commonly used in regression analysis to minimize the sum of absolute errors between predicted and actual values. It is also used in image and audio processing to remove noise and improve data quality.