Matrix operations in a general physics problem

In summary, the problem involves a lemming falling from a height of 12.40 meters and reaching different altitudes at different times (0.10 seconds, 0.20 seconds, and 0.30 seconds). The task is to develop a mathematical expression for this fall using matrix operations and to solve for the lemming's impact time if he did not have an umbrella. The acceleration and speed at the instant the lemming opens his umbrella are also requested.
AmTran_Bus

Homework Statement

A lemming marches off an ice berg, falling directly downward from a height of 12.40 meters. 0.10 seconds later, he is 9.151 meters above the ocean below. 0.20 seconds this altitude is reduced to 5.804 meters, and at 0.30 seconds he as fallen to 2.359 meters above the ocean.

1. Via Matrix operations, develop a mathematical expression that represents this fall.
2. If the lemming failed to bring an umbrella, how many seconds into this fall would he impact the ocean?
3. If he did have an umbrella to break his fall, and he opened it 7.000 meters above the water, how much time would he have fallen freely prior to opening the umbrella?
4. What would his speed be the instant he opened his umbrella?
5. What is his acceleration due to gravity?

I know the Times (t) and the altitudes (a)
I know there is an I, J, and K component when dealing with velocity and such in physics.

Homework Equations

-Sarrs Law could be used to solve a 3x3 or 2x2 matrix, however, I don't think that is possible for this particular problem.

To find the acceleration, I know to take the f''(x) is required.

The Attempt at a Solution

0, 0.10, 0.20. 0.30 (T)
12.40, 9.151, 5.804, 2.359 (A)

If I new this was right and how to solve this thing, I think I could take the determinant to get part B?

For part C, I think I could plug in the 7.000 into my velocity equation.

Again, without the matrix, I can not derive the first equation.
This is a high school physics problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
To find the acceleration, I know to take the f''(x) is required.
You mean you take ##\ddot{f}(t)## ? Acceleration requires the second time-derivative of displacement.

What is the matrix for the second derivative operation?

However - you want to be able to predict the future positions and speeds.
The trick with this would be setting up the correct vectors.

I know the Times (t) and the altitudes (a)
I know there is an I, J, and K component when dealing with velocity and such in physics.
Well - the lemming is going just downwards so you can get rid of two of the components.

... to get part B? ... For part C
There is no part B or C in your problem as you've written it.

1. What is a matrix in physics?

A matrix in physics is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols that are used to represent physical quantities and their relationships. It is an important tool for solving complex physics problems and for describing the behavior of physical systems.

2. How are matrices used in physics?

Matrices are used in physics to represent and solve systems of equations, describe the motion and forces of objects, and calculate transformations between coordinate systems. They are also used in quantum mechanics to describe the state of a physical system and its evolution over time.

3. What are the basic operations performed on matrices in physics?

The basic operations performed on matrices in physics include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and inversion. These operations are used to manipulate matrices and solve equations involving them.

4. How are matrices related to vectors in physics?

Matrices and vectors are closely related in physics. A vector can be represented as a 1xN or Nx1 matrix, and matrix operations can be used to perform calculations involving vectors. Matrices are also used to represent and manipulate tensor quantities in physics.

5. Can matrices be used to solve any physics problem?

While matrices are a powerful tool in solving many physics problems, they may not be applicable to all problems. Some systems may not be able to be represented by matrices, or the complexity of the problem may make it difficult to use matrix operations. It is important to use the appropriate mathematical tools for each physics problem.