1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix Powers

1. Mar 17, 2008 #1
    This problem first appeared on another thread under Statistics and probability. I found it when I got the same problem, which is as follows

Consider matrices in the form (k+1 k-1)
    (k-1 k+1)

We will call this matrix Mk, find a general expression for Mk to the nth power in terms of k and n.

I tried several different matrices of this form, the general expression i came up with is attached in the thumbnail, but I still tried making it somewhat clear with latex.

M[tex]^{N}_{K}[/tex] = 2[tex]^{n-1}[/tex][tex]\left( [(k+1) +(k - 1)\sum^{n}_{x=1} k^{x}] [(k-1) +(k - 1)\sum^{n}_{x=1} k^{x}] \right)[/tex]
    [tex]\left([(k - 1) +(k - 1)\sum^{n}_{x=1} k^{x}] [(k + 1) +(k - 1)\sum^{n}_{x=1} k^{x}] \right)[/tex]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think that's quite right, if that was your question. But there is a systematic way to do this. M can be diagonalized since it's symmetric. Find the matrix which diagonalizes it so M=S^(-1).D.S where D is diagonal. Then M^n=S^(-1).D^n.S.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?