Max Current Time for Inductance Q1: Solve for t

• Thread starter shifty101uk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inductance
In summary, the conversation discusses the differentiation of a function i = 10te^(-5t) and the confusion that arises when taking natural logarithms. The mistake in the differentiation is pointed out and corrected, making the question easier to solve.
shifty101uk
1. i = 10te^(-5t), at what instant of time is the current maximum?

first I differentiated i, using the product rule.

di/dt = (10e^(-5t)) (1-5) , that's what I got after simplifying, I am pretty certain this is correct. My confusion comes in when taking natural logarithms.

if ln(e(^1)) = 1 then ln(e(^-5t)) = -5t, I am just not entirely sure what to do from here but I gave it a shot.

10ln 5t(1-5) = 0

ln (50t-250t) = 0**

ln (50/250) = t.

The answer in the book is di/dt = 0 when t=1/5.

If anyone can clear any of that up for me Id be very grateful.

I have just spotted a glaring error** the 10 should be taken as a power, not a product.

so it should be ln((5t/25t)^10) = 0

how do I calculate t?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your differentiation di/dt = (10e^(-5t)) (1-5) is wrong.

It should be di/dt = (10e^(-5t)) (1-5t)

Fixing that mistake makes the question a lot easier!

ahhhh thankyou, I really should double check more often. I was nearly pulling my hair out over that!

Related to Max Current Time for Inductance Q1: Solve for t

1. What is "Max Current Time for Inductance Q1"?

"Max Current Time for Inductance Q1" refers to a calculation used in electrical engineering to determine the maximum time it takes for the current to reach a certain level in an inductor circuit.

2. How is the "Max Current Time for Inductance Q1" calculated?

The "Max Current Time for Inductance Q1" is calculated using the formula t = Q/R, where t is the time in seconds, Q is the inductance in Henries, and R is the resistance in Ohms. This formula is based on Ohm's law and the equation for calculating time constant in an inductor circuit.

3. What is the significance of calculating the "Max Current Time for Inductance Q1"?

Calculating the "Max Current Time for Inductance Q1" is important in understanding and analyzing the behavior of inductor circuits. It helps engineers and scientists determine the time it takes for the current to reach its maximum value, which is useful in designing and optimizing circuits for specific purposes.

4. What factors can affect the "Max Current Time for Inductance Q1"?

The "Max Current Time for Inductance Q1" can be affected by various factors such as the type and value of the inductance, the resistance in the circuit, and the input voltage. Other factors such as temperature and the presence of other components in the circuit can also have an impact on the time constant and, therefore, the maximum current time for inductance.

5. Are there any limitations to using the "Max Current Time for Inductance Q1" calculation?

While the "Max Current Time for Inductance Q1" calculation is a useful tool in analyzing inductor circuits, it has some limitations. It assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account factors such as parasitic capacitance, non-linear behavior, and other complexities that may exist in real-world circuits. Therefore, it should be used as a guide and not as an exact value for circuit design and analysis.