1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max Harge on a Capacitor in LC Circuits

1. Apr 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An oscillating LC circuit consisting of a 1.2 nF capacitor and a 3.3 mH coil has a maximum voltage of 2.6 V.
    (a) What is the maximum charge on the capacitor?

2. Relevant equations
    Q=CV

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried Q=CV but this did not work I got the answer 3e-9 when I plugged in but this did not work. I have also tried doing it the long way by solving for energy using .5Li^2 = .5CV^2 then solving for i. Then I solved for w by using ω=1/(√LC) and the solved for the period by using T=2∏/ω which after you find it you can divide by 4 to get time when you can plug in time, angular frequency, and current max to the equation I(max) = -ωQ(max)sin(ωt) this gave me 3e-9 as well which is not correct. The numbers I got for I(max) = .00155692, ω=502518.9076, time=.000003126. Finally I have tried this which I found online Q=(energy of capcitance)V this gave me 1e-8 this did not work either. I double checked the numbers in my calc and they were correct I dont understand!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Is it possible that you're being tripped up by required significant figures? Was your charge really 3E-9, or should it be 3.1E-9?

4. Apr 3, 2012 #3
    I am gonna try another calulator mine seems to be off

5. Apr 3, 2012 #4
    LOL thanks man that worked and I checked it with a new calc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook