Max Harge on a Capacitor in LC Circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an oscillating LC circuit with a 1.2 nF capacitor and a 3.3 mH coil, and a maximum voltage of 2.6 V. The question asks for the maximum charge on the capacitor, and the attempted solutions involve using the equation Q=CV and solving for energy, current, and time. However, it is possible that the incorrect answer was due to a discrepancy in significant figures, and using a different calculator resulted in the correct answer.
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

An oscillating LC circuit consisting of a 1.2 nF capacitor and a 3.3 mH coil has a maximum voltage of 2.6 V.
(a) What is the maximum charge on the capacitor?

Homework Equations

Q=CV

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried Q=CV but this did not work I got the answer 3e-9 when I plugged in but this did not work. I have also tried doing it the long way by solving for energy using .5Li^2 = .5CV^2 then solving for i. Then I solved for w by using ω=1/(√LC) and the solved for the period by using T=2∏/ω which after you find it you can divide by 4 to get time when you can plug in time, angular frequency, and current max to the equation I(max) = -ωQ(max)sin(ωt) this gave me 3e-9 as well which is not correct. The numbers I got for I(max) = .00155692, ω=502518.9076, time=.000003126. Finally I have tried this which I found online Q=(energy of capcitance)V this gave me 1e-8 this did not work either. I double checked the numbers in my calc and they were correct I don't understand!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it possible that you're being tripped up by required significant figures? Was your charge really 3E-9, or should it be 3.1E-9?

I am going to try another calulator mine seems to be off

LOL thanks man that worked and I checked it with a new calc.

It seems like you have made some errors in your calculations. The correct formula to use is Q=CV, where Q is the maximum charge on the capacitor, C is the capacitance (in Farads), and V is the maximum voltage. In this case, the maximum charge on the capacitor would be 1.2 nF * 2.6 V = 3.12 nC. Make sure to double check your units and use the correct values for C and V. Also, remember to convert units if necessary. I hope this helps!

1. How does a capacitor affect the behavior of an LC circuit?

A capacitor in an LC circuit helps to store electrical energy and control the flow of current. It acts as a temporary reservoir for the electrical charge, allowing the circuit to oscillate at a specific frequency.

2. What is the significance of Max Harge in a capacitor?

Max Harge, also known as the maximum charge, is the maximum amount of electrical charge that a capacitor can hold. This value is determined by the capacitance of the capacitor and is an important factor in the functioning of an LC circuit.

3. How is Max Harge calculated in a capacitor?

Max Harge in a capacitor can be calculated by multiplying the capacitance (C) of the capacitor by the maximum voltage (V) across it. This can be represented by the formula Max Harge = C x V.

4. What happens if the capacitor in an LC circuit is not fully charged?

If the capacitor in an LC circuit is not fully charged, the circuit will not be able to reach its maximum oscillation amplitude. This can result in a weaker or distorted signal, affecting the overall performance of the circuit.

5. Can the Max Harge of a capacitor be exceeded in an LC circuit?

Yes, the Max Harge of a capacitor can be exceeded in an LC circuit if the voltage across the capacitor is too high. This can lead to damaging the capacitor or other components in the circuit, and should be avoided to ensure the proper functioning of the circuit.