1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max transverse speed on a sinusoidal wave

1. May 6, 2014 #1
    Given the below equation of a sinusoidal wave, find the maximum transverse speed of a point on the string.

y(x,t) = .00325m * sin(70x -3t)

I am brand new to waves and trying to figure out what this question exactly means. The way I see it is that it might be at a max speed when 70x-3t = 1 because then the equation would just equal the amplitude.

x is related to distance and t is related to time. the function is a position function I think so taking the derivative should give its velocity function.

dy/dt = v = .2275m cos(70x-3t)

Now my thinking has changed. Would velocity be at its max when 70x-3t = 0 since cos(0) = 1?

70x = 3t
    t = 70x/3 or x = 3t/70

Ha, I have no idea where I'm going with this. I'm just studying ahead.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2014 #2
    You did not calculate dy/dt correctly.

The question did not ask you to calculate when or where the maximum speed occurs, only what the maximum speed is.

4. May 7, 2014 #3
    Hmmm. How would I take the derivative in this case? Do I even have to take the derivative?

Oh and wouldn't max speed be inbetween 2 amplitudes? Like if you look at a sin(x) graph it would be where y=0. Wouldn't this be where max speed would occur?

5. May 7, 2014 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You did the derivative with respect to x instead of t.

ehild

6. May 7, 2014 #5
    Ah I see. So then dy/dt = v = -.00975 cos(70x-3t)

At its max, cos(70x-3t) = 1/2 since that will be inbetween two amplitudes where its Vmax is at (correct me if I'm wrong). This speed will be the same for any x/t combination that works with this idea.

If cos(70x-3t) = 1/2 then v = -.00975m/s * .5 = -.004875 m/s

Since it is negative, I have a hard time believing I'm on the right track. I think it may actually be when cos(...)=1 and it would be the absolute value of that answer. Or maybe when cos(..)= -1 then it would just negate the negative sign.

So then the max speed would actually be .975 cm/s

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  7. May 7, 2014 #6
    The latter answer is correct.

8. May 7, 2014 #7

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

cos(.) varies between -1 and +1. If you are not sure about that, you need to review your trig courses.

Pick the value in that range which gives you the maximum value for the velocity.

I can't guess where your idea that "At its max,cos(70x-3t) = 1/2" came from.

9. May 7, 2014 #8
    I think I was just stuck thinking about oscillations. From what I remember, when y=0 it's at a max velocity and at the top or bottom of its amplitudes, it's at its max acceleration. Something like that.

Thanks though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted