Max transverse speed on a sinusoidal wave

In summary: I'll go back and review those courses!In summary, the maximum transverse speed of a point on the string is -.004875 m/s.
ichivictus
Given the below equation of a sinusoidal wave, find the maximum transverse speed of a point on the string.

y(x,t) = .00325m * sin(70x -3t)

I am brand new to waves and trying to figure out what this question exactly means. The way I see it is that it might be at a max speed when 70x-3t = 1 because then the equation would just equal the amplitude.

x is related to distance and t is related to time. the function is a position function I think so taking the derivative should give its velocity function.

dy/dt = v = .2275m cos(70x-3t)

Now my thinking has changed. Would velocity be at its max when 70x-3t = 0 since cos(0) = 1?

70x = 3t
t = 70x/3 or x = 3t/70

Ha, I have no idea where I'm going with this. I'm just studying ahead.

Physics news on Phys.org
You did not calculate dy/dt correctly.

The question did not ask you to calculate when or where the maximum speed occurs, only what the maximum speed is.

Hmmm. How would I take the derivative in this case? Do I even have to take the derivative?

Oh and wouldn't max speed be inbetween 2 amplitudes? Like if you look at a sin(x) graph it would be where y=0. Wouldn't this be where max speed would occur?

You did the derivative with respect to x instead of t.

ehild

Likes 1 person
Ah I see. So then dy/dt = v = -.00975 cos(70x-3t)

At its max, cos(70x-3t) = 1/2 since that will be inbetween two amplitudes where its Vmax is at (correct me if I'm wrong). This speed will be the same for any x/t combination that works with this idea.

If cos(70x-3t) = 1/2 then v = -.00975m/s * .5 = -.004875 m/s

Since it is negative, I have a hard time believing I'm on the right track. I think it may actually be when cos(...)=1 and it would be the absolute value of that answer. Or maybe when cos(..)= -1 then it would just negate the negative sign.

So then the max speed would actually be .975 cm/s

Last edited:
The latter answer is correct.

Likes 1 person
cos(.) varies between -1 and +1. If you are not sure about that, you need to review your trig courses.

Pick the value in that range which gives you the maximum value for the velocity.

I can't guess where your idea that "At its max,cos(70x-3t) = 1/2" came from.

AlephZero said:
cos(.) varies between -1 and +1. If you are not sure about that, you need to review your trig courses.

Pick the value in that range which gives you the maximum value for the velocity.

I can't guess where your idea that "At its max,cos(70x-3t) = 1/2" came from.

I think I was just stuck thinking about oscillations. From what I remember, when y=0 it's at a max velocity and at the top or bottom of its amplitudes, it's at its max acceleration. Something like that.

Thanks though.

What is the definition of "max transverse speed" on a sinusoidal wave?

Max transverse speed refers to the highest speed at which a point on a sinusoidal wave moves perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation. It is also known as the maximum transverse velocity or amplitude velocity.

How is the max transverse speed on a sinusoidal wave calculated?

The max transverse speed on a sinusoidal wave can be calculated by taking the derivative of the wave's equation with respect to time. This will give the instantaneous velocity at any given point on the wave. The highest value of this velocity will be the max transverse speed.

What factors can affect the max transverse speed on a sinusoidal wave?

The max transverse speed on a sinusoidal wave can be affected by the frequency and amplitude of the wave. Higher frequencies and amplitudes will result in higher max transverse speeds. The medium through which the wave is traveling can also affect the max transverse speed, as different mediums have different properties that can impact wave velocity.

Can the max transverse speed on a sinusoidal wave exceed the speed of light?

No, the max transverse speed on a sinusoidal wave cannot exceed the speed of light. According to the laws of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. Therefore, the max transverse speed on a sinusoidal wave will always be less than or equal to this speed.

How is the max transverse speed on a sinusoidal wave related to its wavelength?

The max transverse speed on a sinusoidal wave is not directly related to its wavelength. However, the wavelength does affect the frequency of the wave, which in turn can affect the max transverse speed. As the wavelength decreases, the frequency increases, resulting in a higher max transverse speed. This relationship follows the equation v = fλ, where v is the wave velocity, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength.