1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximise profit knowing manufacturing data

1. Apr 6, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, this is my data and problem.
    http://[ATTACH=full]200209[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]200210[/ATTACH]

[B]2. Relevant equations[/B]

[B]3. The attempt at a solution[/B]
    So Im thinking that I can use system of equation to get the number of tables and closets for given resources.
    0,2x+0,1y=40
    0,1x+0,3y=60
    1,2x+1,5y=371,4
    But this does not include that profit from closets are bigger than from tables.. how can i include that?

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2017 #2
    I have another Idea , maybe I can solve ir using Simplex method.
    0,2x+0,1y<=40
    0,1x+0,3y<=60
    1,2x+1,5y<=371,4

and maximize 6x+8y ?

4. Apr 6, 2017 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, but do not forget the conditions x>=0, y>=0. Also, it has only 2 variables, so can be solved graphically.

5. Apr 10, 2017 #4
    Thanks .
    it seems that graphically is not such a good idea because of the scale of graphs.
    Although it seems that it will be nasty, I will try to do it numerically by pivot point method ( if it is the correct notation).

6. Apr 11, 2017 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The graphical method works perfectly well when used as intended: it gives you the information about which two of the five inequalities are equalities at the optimum. Then you have two equations in two unknowns to solve, and doing that gives the exact solution. (The 5 inequalities are the 3 functional inequalities and the two non-negativity conditions.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted