Maximizing Angular Frequency for Non-Sliding Blocks on a Turntable

In summary, the conversation is about a problem where two blocks are tied together and placed on a spinning turntable, and the goal is to find the maximum angular frequency at which the blocks will not slide. The coefficient of static friction and the distance of the blocks from the center are also given. After some discussion and equations, it is determined that the blocks will slide at the same time and the mass of the blocks is given. The person asking for help eventually figures out the correct equation to solve for the maximum angular frequency.
v3lox
Hey guys I am having a hard time trying to solve this problem and I was hoping someone could help me out with it because to be honest I don't even have any idea how to start it.

Problem:
Two identical blocks are tied together with a string and placed along the same radius of a turntable that is spinning about its center. The inner block is 4 cm from the center and the outer block is 5 cm from the center. The coefficient of static friction between the turntable and the blocks is µs = 0.74, and the string is taut.

a) What is the maximum angular frequency such that neither block slides?
b) Now suppose that the blocks each have a mass m = 35 g. For the value of w you just found, what is the tension in the string?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

v3lox said:
Two identical blocks are tied together with a string and placed along the same radius of a turntable that is spinning about its center. The inner block is 4 cm from the center and the outer block is 5 cm from the center. The coefficient of static friction between the turntable and the blocks is µs = 0.74, and the string is taut.

a) What is the maximum angular frequency such that neither block slides?
b) Now suppose that the blocks each have a mass m = 35 g. For the value of w you just found, what is the tension in the string?

Hi v3lox! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Let's start by working out which block will slide first …

Hint: the tension force on both blocks is equal and opposite … so which block, at any angular speed, has the higher friction force? :smile:

well I've been looking around on other webpages to see if anyone else was having trouble with this same problem and i found a few of them and in the end i had written 2 equations with 2 unknowns

1) T - umg = m R1 w^2
2) -T - umg = m R2 w^2

i know that when i add them the tensions should cancel out but how would i solve for m since it is not given?

sorry!

v3lox said:
well I've been looking around on other webpages to see if anyone else was having trouble with this same problem and i found a few of them and in the end i had written 2 equations with 2 unknowns

1) T - umg = m R1 w^2
2) -T - umg = m R2 w^2

i know that when i add them the tensions should cancel out but how would i solve for m since it is not given?

Hi v3lox! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and an omega: ω and a squared: ² :smile:)

i] don't use the web! there are dozens of websites, but only a few mechanics equations, so just write out all the equations you know and then choose the ones that fit!

ii] I'm sorry … my last post was misleading … you don't need the tension until part b).

Since the blocks will slide outward, and they can't get any further apart, either the inner one slides first (and the tension is zero), or they both slide at the same time.

It's the latter (can you prove that? :wink:), so to find ω you need to consider the forces on the two blocks as a single unit. :wink:

iii] m is given … its 35g ! :rolleyes:

(oh, and check the ± signs in your equations :wink:)

yes i finally got it! :)
somehow i completely overlooked the mass given for some odd reason maybe i just thought that it would only apply for part b

after checking my signs and adding the two equations with the mass given ;) i came up with the right equation to solve for w and the rest was easy

thanks for your help tiny-tim really appreciate it! :)

What is the purpose of a turn table in this experiment?

The purpose of the turn table is to provide a rotating surface on which the blocks can be placed and observed. This allows for the study of rotational dynamics and the effects of friction on the blocks as they move.

How do the size and shape of the blocks affect their movement on the turn table?

The size and shape of the blocks can affect their movement in several ways. Larger and heavier blocks may have more inertia and require more force to move, while smaller and lighter blocks may be easier to accelerate. The shape of the blocks can also affect their contact with the turn table and the amount of friction present.

What factors influence the speed at which the blocks move on the turn table?

Several factors can influence the speed of the blocks on the turn table, including the force applied to the blocks, the amount of friction present, and the mass and shape of the blocks. The initial starting position and velocity of the blocks can also play a role in their movement.

How can the turn table be used to study rotational motion?

The turn table can be used to study rotational motion by allowing for controlled experiments with various factors, such as force and friction, that affect the rotational movement of the blocks. By measuring the speed, acceleration, and other parameters of the blocks, scientists can gather data and make observations about rotational dynamics.

What applications does this experiment have in real-world scenarios?

Studying blocks on a turn table can have practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics. It can help researchers better understand the principles of rotational motion and how they apply to objects in the real world. This knowledge can be useful in designing structures and machines that involve rotational movement, such as gears and turbines.