Is There a Limit to the Size of a Black Hole?

In summary, black holes do not have a maximum size and can theoretically continue to grow as long as there is an infinite supply of matter to feed them. However, as they grow, the Hawking radiation they emit decreases due to their lower temperature. This is because the emitted radiation is proportional to the size of the black hole, with larger black holes emitting less radiation than smaller ones. The power output of a black hole also scales inversely with its mass squared, meaning smaller black holes emit more energy per unit time compared to larger ones.
Keith
I'm just curious, do black holes have a maximum size? In other words, if it theoretically had an infinite supply of matter to "feed" off of, would the black hole just get more and more massive or is there a point where it can no longer fit anymore matter? Will it just spit out hawking radiation?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no known size limit.
Larger black holes emit less Hawking radiation.

No I don't think there is an upper limit on size, but you can get a situation where the accereted material around a black hole gets so dense that the BH can't absorb it quickly enough.
The excess gets ejected as a high energy beam of particles from just outside the event horizon at the poles of the BH.

Awesome, thank you guys

mfb said:
Larger black holes emit less Hawking radiation.

That's cool I didn't know that. Why is that?

They emit a black-body spectrum with a specific temperature, this temperature corresponds to a wavelength (for light), and that is proportional to their size.
Larger => longer wavelengths => colder => lower intensity of Hawking radiation

Keith said:
That's cool I didn't know that. Why is that?

Don't take what I write below too seriously.

Large black holes produces smaller "tidal forces" at their event horizons than do small black holes. Consequently, at its event, a large black "pulls apart" virtual particle-antiparticle pairs at a slower rate than does a small black hole.

The real analysis is very technical.

Likes atyy
mfb said:
They emit a black-body spectrum with a specific temperature, this temperature corresponds to a wavelength (for light), and that is proportional to their size.
Larger => longer wavelengths => colder => lower intensity of Hawking radiation

So it's not that bigger black holes emit less hawking radiation than smaller ones? It's just that the surface area becomes more spread out as the black hole becomes larger and is distributed less intensely to an object that remains a constant size? In other words, theoretically, if an object geometrically grew at the same rate as the black hole, would it experience the same amount of hawking radiation the whole time?

Am I understanding correctly? I'm sorry if none of this makes sense. I feel so feeble minded :p

Well, if you think of a black hole as a perfect black body radiator, then a larger black hole has a lower temperature than a smaller black hole. All known black holes today absorb more energy from the cosmic background radiation, which has the spectrum of a black body at approximately 2.7 kelvin, than they emit in hawking radiation. So while the spectrum of a more massive black hole is that of a cooler body, I don't know how the emitted power scales with black hole mass and size.

Drakkith said:
Well, if you think of a black hole as a perfect black body radiator, then a larger black hole has a lower temperature than a smaller black hole. All known black holes today absorb more energy from the cosmic background radiation, which has the spectrum of a black body at approximately 2.7 kelvin, than they emit in hawking radiation. So while the spectrum of a more massive black hole is that of a cooler body, I don't know how the emitted power scales with black hole mass and size.
Looked it up here:
http://xaonon.dyndns.org/hawking/

Apparently the luminosity in watts scales inversely with the mass squared. So the total energy emitted per unit time is much greater for a smaller black hole.

1. What is the maximum size a black hole can reach?

The maximum size a black hole can reach is known as the maximum black hole mass. The limit is dictated by the Eddington limit, which is the point at which the outward radiation pressure from the black hole's accretion disk balances the inward force of gravity. This limit is approximately 50 billion solar masses.

2. Can a black hole continue to grow forever?

No, a black hole cannot continue to grow forever. As a black hole consumes matter and increases in mass, it also increases in size. However, once it reaches the maximum black hole mass, the Eddington limit will prevent it from growing any larger.

3. How do scientists determine the maximum black hole size?

Scientists determine the maximum black hole size by studying the behavior of black holes, particularly their accretion disks. They also use theoretical models and mathematical equations to calculate the Eddington limit and determine the maximum mass a black hole can reach.

4. Is there a limit to the size of a supermassive black hole?

Yes, there is a limit to the size of a supermassive black hole. Supermassive black holes are the largest type of black holes, with masses ranging from millions to billions of times the mass of the sun. However, they are still subject to the Eddington limit and cannot exceed the maximum black hole size.

5. Can a black hole merge with another black hole to exceed the maximum size?

No, a black hole cannot merge with another black hole to exceed the maximum size. When two black holes merge, their combined mass will still be subject to the Eddington limit, preventing it from exceeding the maximum black hole mass. Additionally, the merger process can also result in the loss of some mass, further limiting the maximum size of the resulting black hole.