Maximum compression of the spring

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of physical equations to determine the spring constant and maximum compression of a spring when two blocks with different masses collide on a frictionless surface. It also touches on the concept of conservation of energy and momentum in these scenarios. Ultimately, the equations yield the result of vf = mvi/3m for the final velocity of block II after the collision.
aznboi855

Homework Statement

360c0f2c5509be337cf879c68faf2ef4.jpg

The two blocks I and II shown above have mass of m and 2m respectively. Block II as an ideal massless spring attached to one side. When block I is placed on the spring as shown in figure (a), the spring is compressed a distance D at equilibrium. Express your answer to all parts of this question in terms of the given quantities and the physical constants.

a) Determine the spring constant of the spring.

Latter the two blocks are on frictionless horizontal surface. Block II is stationary and block I approaches with the speed of V, as shown in the figure b,c,d.

b) The spring compression is a maximum when the blocks have the same velocity. Briefly explain why is this so.

c) Determine the maximum compression of the spring during the collision.

d) Determine the velocity of the block II after the collision, when block I has separated from the spring.

Homework Equations

F = kd
conservation of energy equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already solved for a), which came out to be k = mg/d.
For c), i used the conservation of energy equation and it came out like this :
PEspi + KEi = PEspf + KEf
(1/2)mvi^2 = (1/2)kx^2 + (1/2)3mvf^2

This is where I'm stuck, I know the answer comes out to be SQRT(2D/3g)Vo, but i can't get there.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need another equation. And an obvious one can be obtained by thinking about linear momentum of the blocks.

Thanks for the reply, I just checked in my book and it also said to use the conservation of momentum equation. Solving for vf, I ended up with:
vf = mvi/3m
plugging it back into the energy equation still doesn't yield the result :(, unless I'm doing it wrong somewhere.

aznboi855 said:
unless I'm doing it wrong somewhere.

I think you are. Just double checked it and the equations do yield the answer you mentioned in the first post

Nvm, I figured it out, just had some bad algebra.

Related to Maximum compression of the spring

1. What is maximum compression of the spring?

The maximum compression of a spring is the point at which the spring is completely compressed and can no longer be compressed any further without breaking or permanently deforming.

2. How is the maximum compression of a spring calculated?

The maximum compression of a spring is calculated by using the formula F = -kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement or compression of the spring.

3. What factors affect the maximum compression of a spring?

The maximum compression of a spring can be affected by various factors such as the material and shape of the spring, the amount of force applied, and the spring constant.

4. What happens if a spring is compressed beyond its maximum compression point?

If a spring is compressed beyond its maximum compression point, it can either break or permanently deform, losing its ability to return to its original shape and function.

5. How can the maximum compression of a spring be increased?

The maximum compression of a spring can be increased by using a spring with a higher spring constant, applying more force, or using a different material for the spring that can withstand greater compression.