Maximum electric field from magnetic field

In summary: E6hz and 4Gauss?In summary, at a point 3 cm from the axis, the electric field has an amplitude of 4 gauss.
Schfra

Homework Statement

In the central region of a solenoid that is connected to a radio frequency power source, the magnetic field oscillates at 2.5·10^6 cycles per second with an amplitude of 4 gauss. What is the amplitude of the oscillating electric field at a point 3 cm from the axis? (This point lies within the region where the magnetic field is nearly uniform.)

Homework Equations

∇ × E = −∂B/∂t (maybe)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I could only find one equation relating the electric field to the magnetic field in my book. I’m not sure if it’s right or not.

∇ × E = −∂B/∂t

I’m not really sure where to go from here. I’m guessing I have the wrong equation, but I’m not quite sure since I haven’t taken calc 3 and am not very familiar with partial differentiation or gradients.

Physics news on Phys.org
What book are you using? Usually, you start with the integral version of that law. (And it is the one you want to use.) Is that in your book?

Likes Schfra
vela said:
What book are you using? Usually, you start with the integral version of that law. (And it is the one you want to use.) Is that in your book?
Is it this one?

714288a1913936f300005be259128ef351ecb6b3

I’m not quite sure how to use this equation. It was listed first, I just didn’t include it because I didn’t see the electric field anywhere.

Yeah, that's the one, though it's not in the most useful form. If you integrate the differential form of the law on a surface ##S## bounded by a closed path ##C##, you get
$$\int_S (\nabla \times \vec{E})\cdot d\vec{A} = -\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \int_S \vec{B} \cdot d\vec{A}.$$ The righthand side is just the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the surface ##S##. Using Stokes' theorem, you can express the lefthand side as a line integral:
$$\oint_S (\nabla \times \vec{E})\cdot d\vec{A} = \oint_C \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{l}.$$ (This is what you will learn in Calc 3, but you'll just have to accept it right now as a given.) Combining the two, you get
$$\oint_C \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{l} = -\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \int_S \vec{B} \cdot d\vec{A}.$$ This is the form that's more useful for solving this problem. The lefthand side you should recognize as the induced emf around the path ##C##. Using the symmetry of the situation in the problem, you can evaluate the line integral for the appropriate path.

Likes Schfra
vela said:
Yeah, that's the one, though it's not in the most useful form. If you integrate the differential form of the law on a surface ##S## bounded by a closed path ##C##, you get
$$\int_S (\nabla \times \vec{E})\cdot d\vec{A} = -\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \int_S \vec{B} \cdot d\vec{A}.$$ The righthand side is just the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the surface ##S##. Using Stokes' theorem, you can express the lefthand side as a line integral:
$$\oint_S (\nabla \times \vec{E})\cdot d\vec{A} = \oint_C \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{l}.$$ (This is what you will learn in Calc 3, but you'll just have to accept it right now as a given.) Combining the two, you get
$$\oint_C \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{l} = -\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \int_S \vec{B} \cdot d\vec{A}.$$ This is the form that's more useful for solving this problem. The lefthand side you should recognize as the induced emf around the path ##C##. Using the symmetry of the situation in the problem, you can evaluate the line integral for the appropriate path.

Would the left side of that equation be equal to the electric field multiplied by the circumference of a circle that has a radius of the .03m, the distance from the axis?
E(2πr)
=.06(pi)E

Yes.

Likes Schfra
vela said:
Yes.
For the right side I assume B is .0004T. I’m not quite sure about what surface I’m integrating over or about the math there though. What surface is the integral referring to?

Last edited:
The surface is the disk defined by the circle.

Likes Schfra
vela said:
The surface is the disk defined by the circle.
So would the integral on the right hand side be equal to
π(.03m)^2(.0004T)
= 3.6E-7π

And wouldn’t the partial derivative of that be equal to 0?

The problem statement says the magnetic field oscillates with time, so you don’t want to set B to a constant.

vela said:
The problem statement says the magnetic field oscillates with time, so you don’t want to set B to a constant.
How would I find that then? I’m guessing that 2.5E6hz and .0004T will both be part of it.

Would it maybe be .0004sin(2.5E6t)?

Almost. Remember the argument of the sine function needs to be in radians, not cycles.

Likes Schfra
vela said:
Almost. Remember the argument of the sine function needs to be in radians, not cycles.
So would it be .0004sin(2pi(2.5E6t))?

I believe sin(2pi) gives a frequncy of one cycle per second. Then multiplying the inside by 2.5E6 should also multiply the frequency by the same number.

Last edited:

What is the relationship between maximum electric field and magnetic field?

The maximum electric field is directly proportional to the maximum magnetic field. This means that an increase in the magnetic field will result in an increase in the electric field and vice versa.

Can the maximum electric field be greater than the magnetic field?

Yes, in certain situations, the maximum electric field can be greater than the magnetic field. This can occur in cases where there is a high frequency or high intensity of the magnetic field.

How is the maximum electric field calculated from the magnetic field?

The maximum electric field can be calculated by multiplying the maximum magnetic field by the speed of light in a vacuum. This is known as the displacement current and is given by the equation E = cB, where c is the speed of light and B is the maximum magnetic field.

What factors can affect the maximum electric field from a magnetic field?

The maximum electric field from a magnetic field can be affected by various factors such as the frequency and intensity of the magnetic field, the materials and geometry of the surrounding medium, and the presence of other electric or magnetic fields.

What are some practical applications of the maximum electric field from a magnetic field?

The maximum electric field from a magnetic field has various practical applications, including in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), in particle accelerators, and in electrical transformers and generators. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and studying electromagnetic waves and their behavior.