Maxwell Field in General Relativity: Explained

In summary: So this notation is just a way of writing the four-vector?Yes, this is just a way of writing the four-vector.
Einj
Hello everyone,
I'm studying some applications of AdS/CFT and I came across an expression of the Maxwell field written in the following way:
$$
A=A_t(r)dt+B(r)xdy.
$$
How does this notation work? Is it simply a way of writing the four-vector? If so, why do we use this notation?
Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Einj said:
I came across an expression of the Maxwell field written in the following way:
##A=A_t(r)dt+B(r)xdy##.

Are you sure this is transcribed correctly? Can you give the reference for where you got it? It doesn't look right to me; the Maxwell field should be a 2-form, i.e., it should be expressed as a sum of wedge products of the form ##dt \wedge dx##, ##dy \wedge dz##, etc.

Looks like the expression is the potential, not the field.

Edit : no idea why he picks this form, didn't read the rest of the paper sorry

Last edited:
He calls it field but yes, I pretty sure he means the potential. Does this simply mean that the four-potential have component ##A_t(r)## and ##A_y(r,x)=B(r)x##? If so, where does that notation come from?

Einj said:
He calls it field but yes, I pretty sure he means the potential.

Yes, he does.

Einj said:
Does this simply mean that the four-potential have component ##A_t(r)## and ##A_y(r,x)=B(r)x##?

Yes, although I also think ##r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}##, so any function of ##r## is really a function of ##x, y, z##.

Einj said:
where does that notation come from?

It's differential form notation; the 1-form ##A## is expressed in terms of its components as ##A_{\mu} dx^{\mu}##, where ##dx^{\mu}## are the basis 1-forms ##dt##, ##dx##, ##dy##, and ##dz##. The electromagnetic field itself is then expressed as the 2-form ##F = dA##, which in components is ##F = \frac{1}{2} F_{\mu \nu} dx^{\mu} \wedge dx^{\nu}##, and ##F_{\mu \nu} = \partial_{\mu} A_{\mu} - \partial_{\mu} A_{\nu}##. This notation is often used in field theory.

Last edited:
Likes Einj
Oh great thank you!

Related to Maxwell Field in General Relativity: Explained

1. What is the Maxwell field in general relativity?

The Maxwell field in general relativity is a mathematical representation of electromagnetic fields, which are physical phenomena that arise from electrically charged particles. In general relativity, the Maxwell field is described by a set of equations that govern the behavior of electromagnetic fields in the presence of massive objects, such as stars and black holes.

2. How does the Maxwell field relate to general relativity?

The Maxwell field is an important component of general relativity because it describes the behavior of electromagnetic fields, which are essential for the understanding of many physical processes in the universe. In general relativity, the Maxwell field is incorporated into the equations of the theory to account for the effects of electromagnetic fields on the curvature of spacetime.

3. What are the implications of the Maxwell field in general relativity?

The implications of the Maxwell field in general relativity are significant. It allows for a more complete understanding of the behavior of electromagnetic fields in the presence of massive objects, which has important applications in astrophysics and cosmology. Additionally, the incorporation of the Maxwell field into general relativity has helped to reconcile the theory with the principles of electromagnetism.

4. Can the Maxwell field be observed or measured in general relativity?

While the Maxwell field itself cannot be directly observed or measured, its effects on electromagnetic fields can be observed and measured. For example, the bending of light around massive objects, known as gravitational lensing, is a consequence of the Maxwell field in general relativity. This phenomenon has been observed and confirmed through astronomical observations.

5. Are there any limitations to the Maxwell field in general relativity?

As with any scientific theory, there are limitations to the Maxwell field in general relativity. One limitation is that it does not account for the quantum nature of electromagnetic fields, which is described by quantum electrodynamics. Additionally, the Maxwell field in general relativity is limited to the classical regime, meaning that it cannot fully explain phenomena at extremely small scales or high energies.