Blood Group Substance A: Examining Terminal Sugars

In summary, the correct answer for the terminal sugar in blood group substance A is N-acetylgalactosamine, as it is attached through an N-glycosidic bond to the galactose molecule. This is different than fucose, which is attached through an O-glycosidic bond.
Tyto alba

Homework Statement

The terminal sugar moiety in the blood group substance A is

1) N-acetylgalactosamine
2) Fucose
3) Galactose
4) Glucose

(One right answer)
2. The attempt at a solution
I checked proteopedia it is Option 1 . I wonder why because both N-acetylgalactosamine and fucose are present as the terminal sugars on Galactose.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone please clarify this for me?

Hi there,

Thank you for bringing this up! The correct answer is actually option 1, N-acetylgalactosamine. This is because in blood group substance A, the terminal sugar is attached to the galactose molecule through an N-glycosidic bond, meaning it is attached to the nitrogen atom of the galactose molecule. In this case, the terminal sugar is N-acetylgalactosamine. Fucose, on the other hand, is attached through an O-glycosidic bond, meaning it is attached to the oxygen atom of the galactose molecule. So while both N-acetylgalactosamine and fucose are present as terminal sugars on galactose, in the case of blood group substance A, it is N-acetylgalactosamine that is the terminal sugar.

I hope this helps clarify things for you! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is Blood Group Substance A?

Blood Group Substance A is a type of carbohydrate found on the surface of red blood cells and other tissues in the body. It is one of the four main blood group substances, along with B, O, and AB.

2. How is Blood Group Substance A identified?

Blood Group Substance A is identified through a process called serological testing, where antibodies are used to detect the presence of specific carbohydrates on the surface of red blood cells. Alternatively, genetic testing can also be used to identify the presence of specific genes responsible for producing Blood Group Substance A.

3. What is the function of Blood Group Substance A?

The exact function of Blood Group Substance A is still not fully understood. However, it is believed to play a role in immune response and may also have some influence on disease susceptibility and blood clotting.

4. Can Blood Group Substance A change over time?

No, the expression of Blood Group Substance A is genetically determined and remains constant throughout a person's life. However, certain diseases or conditions can alter the amount or appearance of this substance on the surface of red blood cells.

5. Are there any health implications associated with Blood Group Substance A?

In general, having Blood Group Substance A does not have any negative health implications. However, it can have implications for blood transfusions and organ transplants, as individuals with different blood group substances may experience adverse reactions if given the wrong type of blood or tissue. Additionally, some research has suggested a potential link between Blood Group Substance A and certain diseases, but more studies are needed to confirm this connection.