1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measurability/Lebesgue Integration

1. Mar 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2n0plj9.jpg

2. Relevant equations

For part (a):
    28a6mbp.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I've done all of this question except for the very last part of (c).

For (a) I've found the integral [tex]\int \frac{x^2-y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2}\;dx[/tex] using Wolfram Alpha but how would I integrate it bare handedly?

Since the double integral wrt x then y does not equal the double integral wrt y then x, f is not Lebesgue integrable over [0,1]x[0,1]. However if 0<a<b then f is Lebesgue integrable over [a,b]x[a,b] and the integral is 0 by Fubini.

The last part of (c) is what I'm not sure about: deducing that [tex]\int f = |S^+| - |S^-|.[/tex] Am I going about it the right way? We can write [itex]f=f^+ - f^-[/itex] where [itex]f^+ = \max (f,0)[/itex] and [itex]f^- = -\min (f,0)[/itex] (i.e. the +ve and -ve parts of f respectively).

Then we know if [itex]f\in L^1 (\mathbb{R})[/itex] then [itex]f^+ , f^- \in L^1 (\mathbb{R})[/itex] and [itex]f^+ , f^- \geq 0[/itex].

Now is the following correct? [tex]\int f = \int (f^+ - f^-) = \int f^+ - \int f^- = |S^+| - |S^-|[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2012 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If guess you could notice that it might be d/dx of something over (x^2+y^2) (because of the quotient rule), and then guess what the numerator should be.

Or, you could proceed as follows: $$\begin{align*} \int \frac{x^2-y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2}\;dx &= \int \frac{x^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2}\;dx - y^2 \int \frac{1}{(x^2+y^2)^2}\;dx \\
    &= \int \frac{1}{x^2+y^2} - \frac{y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2}\;dx - y^2 \int \frac{1}{(x^2+y^2)^2}\;dx \\
    &= \int \frac{dx}{x^2+y^2} - 2y^2 \int \frac{1}{(x^2+y^2)^2}\;dx. \end{align*}$$

To deal with the second integral on the RHS, all you need to know is how to integrate
    $$ \int \frac{dv}{(v^2+1)^2}. $$ But this is easy (though slightly tedious). E.g. start off with the sub v=tan(t).

Yes, of course. This follows from the previous part applied to ##f^+## and ##f^-##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook