1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis Measure Theory by Cohn

1. Strongly Recommend

100.0%
  2. Lightly Recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lightly don't Recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Strongly don't Recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Aug 7, 2013 #1

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2013 #2
    This is the book I used to learn measure theory. There is now a second edition featuring a slightly more friendly format, and a whole new chapter on probability.
    I don't remember any lacking proofs with one exception - the approximation-by-simple-functions proposition. I guess this is because Cohn somewhat delays the introduction of the general definition of measurability. Rudin gives a concise (and unusually clear) proof in Real and Complex Analysis, Thm 1.17.

4. Nov 17, 2013 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Dec 3, 2013 #4
    This is also where I learned measure theory from (2nd edition). I found this text great for both learning and as a reference. I haven't used any other measure theory textbooks, but I didn't feel the need to with this book handy. There is a nice chapter on probability theory, and a proof of the Banach-Tarski paradox in the appendix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted