Measure Theory by Donald Cohn | Amazon Link

In summary, "Measure Theory" by Donald Cohn is a comprehensive book on measure theory, with a new edition featuring a more user-friendly format and an additional chapter on probability. The book is highly recommended for learning and as a reference, though there may be some lacking proofs in the section on approximation-by-simple-functions. Other recommended books for studying real analysis and measure theory include "Real and Complex Analysis" by Rudin and "Real Analysis: Modern Techniques and Their Applications" by Folland.

For those who have used this book

• Lightly Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly don't Recommend

• Strongly don't Recommend

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
This is the book I used to learn measure theory. There is now a second edition featuring a slightly more friendly format, and a whole new chapter on probability.
I don't remember any lacking proofs with one exception - the approximation-by-simple-functions proposition. I guess this is because Cohn somewhat delays the introduction of the general definition of measurability. Rudin gives a concise (and unusually clear) proof in Real and Complex Analysis, Thm 1.17.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is also where I learned measure theory from (2nd edition). I found this text great for both learning and as a reference. I haven't used any other measure theory textbooks, but I didn't feel the need to with this book handy. There is a nice chapter on probability theory, and a proof of the Banach-Tarski paradox in the appendix.

I am familiar with the concept of measure theory, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with the measurement of sets and their properties. I have read several books on this topic, and I must say that Donald Cohn's "Measure Theory" is a comprehensive and well-written guide to this subject.

The book covers all the important topics in measure theory, including measure spaces, sigma-algebras, Lebesgue measure, and integration. The author has a clear and concise writing style, making the material easy to understand for both beginners and experts in the field.

What I particularly appreciate about this book is the inclusion of numerous examples and exercises throughout the text, which help to reinforce the concepts and techniques discussed. The exercises also allow readers to test their understanding and apply the theory to real-world problems.

Moreover, Cohn's book goes beyond the traditional topics of measure theory and also delves into more advanced topics such as abstract measure spaces, product measures, and Radon-Nikodym theorem. This makes the book a valuable resource not only for students but also for researchers and professionals in the field.

Overall, I highly recommend "Measure Theory" by Donald Cohn to anyone interested in learning about this important branch of mathematics. It is a well-organized and comprehensive guide that provides a solid foundation for further study and research in measure theory. The Amazon link provided makes it easy to access and purchase the book, making it a convenient resource for anyone looking to expand their knowledge in this area.

1. What is the purpose of studying Measure Theory?

The purpose of studying Measure Theory is to provide a rigorous mathematical framework for analyzing and measuring the size of sets and the magnitude of functions. It is an essential tool in many areas of mathematics such as analysis, probability, and topology, and has many applications in other fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

2. Who is the author of "Measure Theory" book?

The author of "Measure Theory" is Donald Cohn, a mathematician and professor at the University of California, Los Angeles. He is known for his contributions to functional analysis, operator theory, and measure theory.

3. What are the prerequisites for understanding "Measure Theory"?

A strong foundation in real analysis and basic abstract algebra is necessary for understanding Measure Theory. Familiarity with concepts such as metric spaces, topology, and Lebesgue integration is also recommended.

4. How is "Measure Theory" different from basic calculus?

Basic calculus deals with the behavior of continuous functions on real numbers, while Measure Theory extends this concept to functions on more general spaces and measures the size of sets in these spaces. It also provides a more rigorous and abstract approach to integration and differentiation.

5. Is "Measure Theory" only applicable in mathematics?

No, Measure Theory has many applications in other fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It is used to model and measure phenomena in these fields, providing a mathematical basis for understanding and analyzing complex systems.