Measurement uncertainty: Standard uncertainty of the mean

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of quantifying measurement uncertainty in X-ray analysis by computing the standard uncertainty of the mean. This is done by using the formula U=σn-1/N, where N is the number of measurement readings taken and σn-1 is the sample standard deviation. There is a question about whether N should be the length or sum of the array, and it is clarified that it should be the number of values.
garyd

Homework Statement

Hi,

I am doing some basic X-ray analysis and trying to quantify the measurement uncertainty associated with my determined value for the K-α line of copper. I have obtained the x-ray spectrum from a copper target using a detector and multichannel analyzer (No. of pulses/pulse height as a function of energy in keV). I have identified and isolated the K-α peak. I have fitted a Gaussian/Normal distribution curve to the data, computed the mean value in keV and have computed the sample standard deviation. I now need to compute the standard uncertainty of the mean and I’m unsure of the correct method. As far as I know the standard uncertainty of the mean (u) is given by [1] below where N is the number of measurement readings taken in order to determine the mean value and sigma n-1 is the computed sample standard deviation.

Homework Equations

U=σn-1/N [1]

The Attempt at a Solution

The multi-channel analyzer effectively sorts and counts incident voltages of different magnitudes. I have an array of x-axis data in keV. e.g. x=[2 3 4 5 4 3 2] I am wondering is N the length of the array (=7) or the sum of the array (23)

Physics news on Phys.org
garyd said:
U=σn-1/N [1]
Shouldn't that be ##\sigma_{n-1}/\sqrt n##?

Likes garyd
haruspex said:
Shouldn't that be ##\sigma_{n-1}/\sqrt n##?
Yes it should be ##\sigma_{n-1}/\sqrt N##
But what value is N

garyd said:
Yes it should be ##\sigma_{n-1}/\sqrt N##
But what value is N
N is the number of values (which is why I wrote n; it's the same n as in σn−1).

Sorry i was referring to my lecture notes, n makes a lot more sense, thanks

What is measurement uncertainty?

Measurement uncertainty is the amount of doubt or variability in a measured quantity due to limitations in measurement tools, techniques, or environmental factors.

What is the standard uncertainty of the mean?

The standard uncertainty of the mean is a measure of the random error associated with the average of a set of measurements. It takes into account the variability of the individual measurements and is often denoted by the symbol σ.

How is the standard uncertainty of the mean calculated?

The standard uncertainty of the mean is calculated by dividing the standard deviation of the measurements by the square root of the number of measurements. This can be represented by the formula σ = σx / √n, where σx is the standard deviation and n is the number of measurements.

Why is measurement uncertainty important?

Measurement uncertainty is important because it quantifies the reliability and accuracy of a measurement. It allows scientists to understand the potential variability in their results and helps them to determine the level of confidence they can have in their data.

How can measurement uncertainty be reduced?

Measurement uncertainty can be reduced by using more precise measurement tools, improving measurement techniques, and controlling environmental factors that may affect the measurement. Additionally, increasing the number of measurements taken can also help to reduce uncertainty.