Measurements - relation between mass and size

In summary, the size of mammals is determined by the length of their femur, which is proportional to their size due to the relationship between mass, pressure, and bone strength.
Angelsharma

Homework Statement

Why are mammals as large as they are and not much larger?

Homework Equations

Two figures are given. One of the mammal with size S and mass M. Femur is the thigh bone of the mammal with l being the length of the femur, d being the thickness of the femur and A being the cross sectional area:
i)l ∞ s - length of the femur is proportional to the size
ii) m∞s3∞l3
iii) pressure ∞ weight/Area ∞ m/d2
iv) m ∞d2
v) d2∞l3
Therefore, d ∞ l 3/2

The Attempt at a Solution

These have been worked out, but I am confused at how length is proportional to the size. Is volume the size? In fact, I don't understand the whole thing. Please help. I have looked at the MIT video three times and still confused. Sorry for being so dumb but I don't hesitate to ask.

Physics news on Phys.org
The relationship between length and size is that as the size of the mammal grows, so does the length of its femur. This is because the mass of a mammal increases with its size cubed, so the longer its femur is, the greater its mass and thus size will be. This is due to the fact that the pressure exerted by the mammal's weight on its femur depends on its mass divided by its cross-sectional area, which in turn is proportional to the square of the femur's thickness. So, as the mass of the mammal increases, the thickness of the femur must increase (since m∞d2) and thus its length (since d2∞l3). As the length of the femur increases, so too does the size of the mammal.This relationship is limited, however, as the thickness of the femur can only increase so much before it becomes too thick to support the weight of the mammal. Therefore, the size of mammals is limited by the strength of their bones and the pressure they are able to withstand.

What is the difference between mass and size?

Mass refers to the amount of matter present in an object, while size refers to the physical dimensions or extent of an object.

How are mass and size related?

Mass and size are directly proportional to each other, meaning that as the size of an object increases, its mass also increases.

What is the unit of measurement for mass and size?

The standard unit of measurement for mass is kilograms (kg) while the unit for size can vary depending on the object, but can be measured in meters (m), centimeters (cm), or millimeters (mm).

Can an object with a larger mass have a smaller size?

Yes, it is possible for an object with a larger mass to have a smaller size. This can happen if the object is more dense or compact, meaning that more mass is packed into a smaller space.

How do scientists measure mass and size?

Mass can be measured using a balance or a scale, while size can be measured using rulers, calipers, or other measuring tools depending on the object's dimensions.