How Do You Calculate Mechanical Advantage in a Nail Puller?

In summary: Note that the figure is not drawn to scale.In summary, the mechanical advantage of a nail puller can be calculated using the equation MA= FO/FI = LI/LO. In this problem, the force exerted on the nail is 1250 N and the distance from the pivot to the force is 45 cm, while the distance from the nail to the pivot is 1.8 cm. By plugging in these values into the equation, we can calculate the mechanical advantage of the nail puller.
Armando Valle
What is the mechanical advantage of a nail puller where you exert a force 45 cm from the pivot and the nail is 1.8 cm on the other side? What minimum force must you exert to apply a force of 1250 N to the nail?

Homework Equations

2. Homework Equations
MA= FO/FI * LI/LO

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried to make the problem but i don't understand it, can someone help me? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Armando Valle said:
What is the mechanical advantage of a nail puller where you exert a force 45 cm from the pivot and the nail is 1.8 cm on the other side? What minimum force must you exert to apply a force of 1250 N to the nail?

Homework Equations

2. Homework Equations
MA= FO/FI * LI/LO

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried to make the problem but i don't understand it, can someone help me? thanks!
What have you tried? What's the geometry of a nail puller? Have you drawn a diagram and labelled the forces? A "pivot" implies that torques may be involved. What have you done to investigate this?

Ive tried to use the MA equation but i don´t find a relationship with the forces included on the problem. this are the images of the problems, thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 6.36.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 6.36.46 PM.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,309
I don't understand your relevant equation ("MA equation") as presented. Can you define the variables?

this are the equations

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 6.57.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 6.57.44 PM.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,084
Your Relevant equation:
Armando Valle said:
2. Homework Equations
MA= FO/FI * LI/LO
does not reflect what is in your latest image. It should be:

MA= FO/FI = LI/LO

Note the "=" between the terms. So you're dealing with ratios.

Can you pair up the given values in your problem with the variables in your equation?

Armando Valle said:
this are the equations

The figure for OP's problem together with said equations.

screen-shot-2016-09-16-at-6-57-44-pm-png.106095.png

What is mechanical advantage?

Mechanical advantage is a measure of the force amplification achieved by using a tool, machine, or mechanical system to overcome a resistance. It is the ratio of the output force to the input force.

How is mechanical advantage calculated?

Mechanical advantage is calculated by dividing the output force by the input force. This can be represented by the equation MA = output force / input force. The higher the mechanical advantage, the easier it is to perform work or lift heavy objects.

What are the different types of mechanical advantage?

There are three main types of mechanical advantage: lever, pulley, and inclined plane. The lever utilizes a fulcrum to multiply force, the pulley uses a rope and wheel to change the direction of force, and the inclined plane allows for the use of less force over a longer distance.

How does mechanical advantage help in everyday life?

Mechanical advantage is used in many everyday tasks, such as opening a bottle with a bottle opener, using a wheelbarrow to move heavy objects, and using a pair of scissors to cut through materials. It allows us to accomplish tasks with less effort and makes our daily lives easier.

What are some examples of high mechanical advantage systems?

Some examples of high mechanical advantage systems include cranes, car jacks, and hydraulic systems. These systems are designed to lift or move heavy objects with minimal effort by using mechanical advantage.