Mechanical deformation question

In summary, the conversation discusses using the equation δ = NL/AE to find the change in distance between points B and C. The correct answer is 0.025 inches, but the individual may have made an error when looking up the value for E. They are seeking assistance and are advised to post in the homework section.
Alex Katko
upload_2016-10-25_21-10-27.png

I know that i should use the equation:
δ = NL/AE
In this case, i looked up E and found it to be 15 KSI.

Im trying to find the change in distance between points B and C. Therefore, N should be 2 kips (2000 pounds), L is 150 inches, and A in 0.8 inches squared. Plugging this into the equation gives me 25 inches. However, the correct answer is 0.025 inches.

I think I'm close, but somewhere I'm going wrong. Any help would be great.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you slipped a few zero's when you looked up the value for E. Check it again. In the future, please post in the homework section . Thanks.

Likes Alex Katko

1. What is mechanical deformation?

Mechanical deformation is the change in shape or size of a material due to an applied force. This can occur in solids, liquids, and gases and can be reversible or irreversible.

2. What are the different types of mechanical deformation?

The three main types of mechanical deformation are elastic deformation, plastic deformation, and fracture. Elastic deformation is when the material returns to its original shape after the force is removed, plastic deformation is when the material permanently changes shape, and fracture is when the material breaks or cracks.

3. How is mechanical deformation measured?

Mechanical deformation is measured using strain, which is the ratio of the change in length or shape of the material to its original length or shape. This can be calculated using instruments such as strain gauges or extensometers.

4. What factors affect mechanical deformation?

The factors that affect mechanical deformation include the type of material, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, temperature, and the speed at which the force is applied. Different materials have different levels of strength and elasticity, which can affect how they respond to forces.

5. How is mechanical deformation important in engineering and materials science?

Mechanical deformation is important in engineering and materials science because it can help determine the strength and durability of materials. By understanding how different materials respond to forces, engineers can design structures and products that can withstand various levels of stress and strain. Additionally, studying mechanical deformation can also provide insights into the properties and behavior of materials, which can aid in the development of new and improved materials for various applications.