1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical Energy Transfer

1. Dec 20, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Particle A and partidcle B are held together with a compressed spring between them. When they are released, the spring pushes them apart, and they then fly off in opposite directions, free of the spring. The mass of A is 3 times the mass of B, and the energy stored in the sring was 76 J. Assume that the spring has negligible mass and that all its stored energy is transferred to the particles. Once that transfer is complete, what are the kinetic energies of each particle?

2. Relevant equations

For the system: total U_i + K_i=total U_f + K_f

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]U_i + K_i = U_f + K_f[/tex]

K_i=0, U_f=0

Let m_B=m, so m_A=3m

[tex]76 J=\frac{1}{2}3m+\frac{1}{2}mv_B^2[/tex]

At this point, I noticed that if the velocities are the same, K_A will be 3 times as large as K_B. Sure enough, the answer is that the U_i has been divided into 4 parts--but paticle B has 57 J and paticle A has 19 J!

How was I supposed to get there?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: Energy is not the only thing conserved in this problem.
  4. Dec 20, 2006 #3
    Dude. I thought of momentum and said, "Nope. Outside force going on, baby." Must remember that WHENEVER energy is conserved, so is momentum. And sometimes when energy isn't conserved, also...

OK. so [tex]4mv_i=0=3mv_{Af}+mv_{Bf}[/tex]

Rearrange and get [tex]v_{Af}=\frac{v_{Bf}}{3}[/tex] and shove it into my potential energy equation... and have oodles of fun and find out all sorts of stuff I'm not asked for, and get the answer!

Bless you, Doc Al! :!!)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?