Mechanical Principals -- Strain guages mounted on a cylinder

In summary, a strain gauge is a sensor that measures strain in a material and converts it into an electrical signal. It is typically mounted on a cylinder using adhesive or welding and is used in various industrial applications and research. When using strain gauges, factors such as material, strain type, sensitivity, and environmental conditions should be considered. With proper installation and calibration, strain gauges can provide highly accurate measurements.
Tiberious
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Can anyone ratify if my answer is correct for the below.

I've attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 16.25.04.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 16.25.04.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 523
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 21.45.33.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 21.45.33.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 503
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 21.45.40.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 21.45.40.png
    17 KB · Views: 540
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 21.46.51.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 21.46.51.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 513
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I would be happy to review your answer and provide feedback on its accuracy. Please provide more information on what you have attached so I can properly assess it. Additionally, it would be helpful if you could explain your thought process and methodology in arriving at your answer. This will allow me to better understand your approach and provide more thorough feedback. Thank you.

1. What is a strain gauge and how does it work?

A strain gauge is a sensor that measures the amount of strain or deformation in a material. It works by converting the mechanical strain into an electrical signal, which can then be measured and analyzed.

2. How are strain gauges mounted on a cylinder?

Strain gauges are typically attached to the surface of the cylinder using a special adhesive or sometimes welded directly onto the surface. They are strategically placed in locations where the highest strains are expected to occur.

3. What are the main applications of strain gauges on cylinders?

Strain gauges mounted on cylinders are commonly used in various industrial applications such as pressure vessels, pipes, and rotating machinery. They are also used in research and development for testing the performance and durability of materials under different conditions.

4. What factors should be considered when using strain gauges on cylinders?

Some important factors to consider when using strain gauges on cylinders include the material and geometry of the cylinder, the type of strain expected, the sensitivity and range of the strain gauge, and the environmental conditions in which the cylinder will be operating.

5. How accurate are strain gauges mounted on cylinders?

The accuracy of strain gauges on cylinders depends on various factors such as the quality of the gauge, the placement and installation of the gauge, and the calibration process. With proper installation and calibration, strain gauges can provide highly accurate measurements of strain on cylinders.