Calculating Drag Coefficient for Parachute A-Level A2 Coursework

• Thread starter smileandbehappy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the speaker is working on calculating the drag coefficient for parachutes by combining equations and rearranging them experimentally. They are unsure if they are mixing kinematics with dynamics, as they mention the density of liquid and a "grad coefficient." To solve for drag, they suggest making a differential equation and measuring the force exerted on a spring scale by the chute in front of a fan or blower.
smileandbehappy
hi I am currently doing my a-level A2 coursework on prachutes. I am using different size parchutes and also different masses attatched to them. However I want to work out the grad coeeficient, and have sort of combined a couple of equations to get:

mass*gravity = 0.5 * density of liquid * area * drag coefficient.

Is this right? If it is I can calulate the grag coefficient by rearanging the equation and finding out the variables experimentaly. However I think that I may be mixing kinematics with dynamics in a way which is not allowed.

Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not really sure without the context behind this question. You are talking about the drag of a parachute, yet I see the density of liquid. Grad coefficient, what is this?

One way to solve for drag could consist of making a differential equation where [tex]\Sigma F = m a = m\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex].

The drag created by a parachute can be appoximated with

[tex]F_D = 0.5 \ C_d\ \rho v^2[/tex]

the drag is therefore a function of the speed at which the parachute is moving through the air. The drag force is acting upwards, causing the object hanging from the chute to slow down. When the object reaches its terminal speed (the lowest speed) the weight of the object will be equal to the drag force. If you do not overload the chute it should reach teminal velocity quite quickly. A graph of the weight of the object hanging from the chute against the square of the terminal velocity will produce a linear graph with a gradient of

[tex]0.5 \ C_d \ \rho[/tex]

You therefore need to determine the terminal velocity for several different weights suspended from the same parachute (each chute wil have its own drag coefficient) and draw a graph as explained above.

If you have some means of determining air speed the experiment can be performed by measuring the force exerted on a spring scale by the chute while holding it in front of a fan or blower on several different settings.

Last edited:

What is a drag coefficient?

A drag coefficient is a dimensionless number that represents the ratio of drag force to the product of the fluid density, reference area, and velocity squared. It is a crucial parameter in understanding the aerodynamics of an object, such as a parachute.

How is the drag coefficient calculated?

The drag coefficient can be calculated using experimental data or through theoretical calculations. For a parachute, it is typically determined by measuring the drag force and velocity in a wind tunnel and then using the formula CD = 2F/(ρAv^2), where CD is the drag coefficient, F is the drag force, ρ is the fluid density, A is the reference area, and v is the velocity.

What factors affect the drag coefficient of a parachute?

The drag coefficient of a parachute can be influenced by various factors, including the shape and size of the parachute, the material it is made of, the air density, and the velocity of the parachute. Other factors, such as the angle of attack and the surface roughness, can also affect the drag coefficient.

Why is calculating the drag coefficient important for a parachute?

The drag coefficient is a crucial parameter in understanding the aerodynamics of a parachute. It helps determine the amount of drag force that the parachute experiences, which in turn affects its descent rate and landing location. A lower drag coefficient can result in a slower descent and a more controlled landing.

Are there any limitations to calculating the drag coefficient for a parachute?

While calculating the drag coefficient can provide valuable information about the aerodynamics of a parachute, it is important to note that the calculated value may not always match the real-world performance of the parachute. This is because the calculations are based on ideal conditions and do not take into account other factors, such as turbulence and irregularities in the parachute's shape or material.