Mechanics - Work and Kinetic Energy, (Spring on a Ramp)

In summary, A student is seeking clarification on a physics problem involving a glider on a track with a compressed spring. The student has attempted the problem and compared their solution to a solution manual, but is unsure of their approach and has questions about the use of cosine instead of sine in the solution manual. They are looking for confirmation and a simpler solution approach.
hitspace
Hi everyone, I've been systematically working through the exercises in my first year college textbook and have come up confused over this particular problem. I have a solution manual but it solves this problem differently than I did, though comes up with a similar answer. I've included my attempt at the problem. Hopefully someone can clear up my mistake if there is one. Much obliged.

1. Homework Statement

A small glider is placed against a compressed spring at the bottom of an air track that slopes upward at an angle of 40 degrees above the horizontal. The glider has mass .09 kg. The spring has k= 640 N/m and negligible mass. When the spring is released, the glider travels a maximum distance of 1.8 m along the track before before sliding back down. Before reaching this maximum distance, the glider loses contact with the spring. a) What distance was the spring originally compressed? b) When the glider has traveled along the air track .8 m from its initial position against the compressed spring, is it still in contact with spring (MY Interpretation - What is the springs unstretched length but I can't be sure.)

Homework Equations

W = KE_f - KE_i = 1/2mv^2 - 1/2mv^2
W = Fdcos(theta)
which can simplify to
W = mgh (in some instances I've encountered, such as projectile problems)
W = 1/2kx^2 for a spring ( I am not sure when I'm supposed to make it negative though...)

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that the question was implying that their was an initial speed to the spring (my solutions manual says there is no v_i , that it is equal to zero) the second it was released and that

gravity would bring the velocity down to zero at it's highest point, so (1.8sin(40)) = h

I figure that this is the point where I find out the energy imparted by the spring and equate it to the energy gravity "drains" away as it rises on the track.

1/2kx^2 = mgh
Where x is the compression distance and my unknown variable.
.5(640)(x^2) = .09 (9.8)(1.8sin40)

I get x =.0564 m

My solutions manual says that I should have accounted for the work due to gravity somewhere ( which I thought I did by equating them together). It says that the x value is x = .0565 m (so I did something right).

The solutions manual has a line that goes like this. I don't understand why it has cos130 in it.
W_total = W spring + W weight = 0 (This I don't get, I thought their was an implied initial speed?)
Shouldn't the above be equated to KE_f - KE_i ?
W_w = mg(cos130)s the book uses s instead of height h, or x, or d
W_spring = .09(9.8)(cos130)(1.8)I guess I'm going in circles, what I don't really understand is why there is a cos 130 in my book. The diagram shows its between the force mg and the incline.

Maybe I'm looking for confirmation that I did the problem right, because I just don't understand how the solutions manual did it. It was pretty clear in most cases otherwise. This is chapter 6 and I've had only 2 or 3 problem solutions out of hundreds of them.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your solution is simpler. In general, there are two approaches: one is to have various energies positive and negative and the sum is always zero. The second approach is to have all energies as positive and use to context to decide when they are equal.

Personally, unless the problem demands otherwise, I like to work with positive quantities. So, I would say:

Potential Energy stored in spring: ##E_1 = \frac12 kx^2 \ ##, where ##x## is the compression of the spring.

Final gravitational PE of mass: ##E_2 = mgh = mgl \sin \theta##

And ##E_1 = E_2##

Part b) seems to be answered already by part a).

I have no idea why someone would use ##\cos(130)## instead of ##\sin(40)##

PeroK said:
I have no idea why someone would use cos(130) instead of sin(40)
I think it takes the view that Wweight is the work done by gravity and the angle between the force of gravity and the displacement is 130 degrees.

Likes PeroK

1. What is work in mechanics?

Work in mechanics refers to the amount of energy that is transferred to an object due to an applied force. It is a measure of the amount of force applied over a distance. Work is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

2. How is work related to kinetic energy?

Work and kinetic energy are closely related as work is what causes a change in an object's kinetic energy. When work is done on an object, its kinetic energy increases or decreases depending on the direction of the force applied. This is known as the work-energy theorem, which states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

3. What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = F*d*cosθ, where W is work, F is the applied force, d is the distance the object moves, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of motion. This formula can also be written as W = ΔKE, where ΔKE is the change in kinetic energy.

4. How does a spring on a ramp affect the work done on an object?

A spring on a ramp can act as a force that opposes the motion of an object, thus doing negative work. This is because as the object moves up the ramp, the spring is compressed and exerts a force in the opposite direction. The work done by the spring can be calculated using the formula for work, but with a negative sign to indicate that it is doing negative work.

5. Does the height of a ramp affect the work done by a spring?

Yes, the height of a ramp can affect the work done by a spring. As the height of the ramp increases, the distance the object moves also increases, which means more work is done by the spring. This is because the spring has to exert a larger force to counteract the gravitational force acting on the object as it moves up the ramp.