Meissner Effect: Levitating a Magnet Before Cooling

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a superconductor when a magnet is placed on it before or after it is cooled below its critical temperature. The speaker expresses confusion about why the magnet levitates in both cases and questions why the superconductor would try to prevent the magnetic field. The expert suggests that this is due to the difference between a perfect conductor and a superconductor and references Maxwell and London equations for a more detailed explanation.
niehls
I've just successfully built and tested a superconductor. I've seen the meissner effect in action but there is one thing I'm wondering. If the superconductor is cooled below its critical temperature, and the magnet is then put on top it floats, as it should. It also levitates if the magnet is first put on the superconductor and it is then cooled. This behaviour seemes strange to me. If the magnetic field is present when it makes the transition to superconducting state shouldn't it "just be happy with that", and not try to prevent the magnetic field by inducing a current. I want the current to be induced when the magnet is removed, to counteract the diminishing magnetic field. I need some explanation why the magnet levitates if it is placed on the supraconductor before it is cooled.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
niehls said:
I've just successfully built and tested a superconductor. I've seen the meissner effect in action but there is one thing I'm wondering. If the superconductor is cooled below its critical temperature, and the magnet is then put on top it floats, as it should. It also levitates if the magnet is first put on the superconductor and it is then cooled. This behaviour seemes strange to me. If the magnetic field is present when it makes the transition to superconducting state shouldn't it "just be happy with that", and not try to prevent the magnetic field by inducing a current. I want the current to be induced when the magnet is removed, to counteract the diminishing magnetic field. I need some explanation why the magnet levitates if it is placed on the supraconductor before it is cooled.
Thanks

What you are describing is exactly the difference between a diamagnet property of a "perfect conductor" and an ideal diamagnet property of a superconductor. A perfect conductor will be "happy" with the trapped field when it becomes a perfect conductor. A superconductor is a more special case and requires the expulsion of all magnetic field from the superconducting region.

If you want an "explanation" for why this is, you will need to apply Maxwell equation into the London equation to obtain the special case for the Meisner effect. I'm not sure this is what you want.

Zz.

1. What is the Meissner Effect?

The Meissner Effect is a phenomenon that occurs when a superconductor is cooled below its critical temperature. It causes the superconductor to completely expel any magnetic field within it, resulting in levitation of nearby magnets.

2. How does the Meissner Effect work?

The Meissner Effect is a result of the perfect conductivity of superconductors at low temperatures. This perfect conductivity allows for the formation of persistent currents, which generate a magnetic field that exactly cancels out any external magnetic field, causing the magnet to levitate.

3. What materials exhibit the Meissner Effect?

Only certain materials, called superconductors, exhibit the Meissner Effect. These materials must be cooled below their critical temperature, which varies depending on the material, in order for the effect to occur. Some common superconductors include niobium, lead, and mercury.

4. What is the practical application of the Meissner Effect?

The Meissner Effect has many practical applications, such as in magnetic levitation trains and MRI machines. It also has potential uses in energy storage and transportation due to the high efficiency of superconductors.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to the Meissner Effect?

One limitation of the Meissner Effect is that it only occurs at extremely low temperatures, which can be difficult and expensive to maintain. Additionally, the cost of producing superconducting materials can be prohibitive for some applications. However, ongoing research is focused on finding ways to overcome these limitations and make the Meissner Effect more accessible for practical use.