1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Messy partial differentials with chain rule.

1. Nov 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the problem asks: Find [tex]\delta[/tex]f/[tex]\delta[/tex]x and [tex]\delta[/tex]f/[tex]\delta[/tex]y at x=1 and y=2 if z=f(x,y) is defined implicitly by 2x[tex]^{}2[/tex]y/z + 3z/xy - xy[tex]\sqrt{}z[/tex] = 3. Note that (1,2,4) is a point on the surface.

2. Relevant equations
    Im not really sure how to approach this one.

3. The attempt at a solution

i started off by saying that [tex]\delta[/tex]f/[tex]\delta[/tex]x is equal to [tex]\delta[/tex]z/[tex]\delta[/tex]x and the same thing for y. i went through and found the partial derivatives of the above equation and it turned out really messy, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2007 #2
    You're right, [tex] \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/tex] is the same as [tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} [/tex].

First we want to find the partial derivative with respect to x. Remember in calculus 1 when we differentiated implicitly, we would place a y', or a dy/dx, or something to denote the derivative of y, everytime we had to take the derivative of a term containing y. We pretty much do the same thing when we take the partial derivative of a function of two or more variables. Everytime you take the derivative of a term with z in it, simply take the derivative and place a [tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} [/tex] next to it.

For example, if I have:

[tex] x^{2}z + y + z^2 = 10 [/tex]

I differentiate both sides with respect to x:

[tex] x^{2}\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} + 2xz + \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}2z = 0 [/tex]

Get all the [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex] terms on one side:

[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = \frac{-2xz}{x^{2} + 2z}[/tex]

And now you can plug in values. Does this help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?