Metal sphere drawn and then repelled by charged rod

In summary: The repulsive force between the two increases and the sphere is repelled. In summary, when a positively charged, nonconducting glass rod is brought close to an uncharged metal sphere hanging from a nylon thread, the sphere is first attracted due to the positive charge on the rod attracting the negative charge on the sphere while repelling the positive charge on the sphere. Upon contact, some electrons might move from the sphere to the rod, making the sphere positively charged and thus increasing the repulsive force between the two objects, causing the sphere to be repelled.
MonkeyDLuffy

Homework Statement

An uncharged metal sphere hangs from a nylon thread. When a positively charged, nonconducting glass rod is brought close to the metal sphere, the sphere is drawn toward the rod. But if the sphere touches the rod, the sphere suddenly flies away from the rod. Explain why the sphere is first attracted and then repelled.

Homework Equations

Assuming there are only horizontal components making a contribution,
a = the distance from the rod to a point on the sphere
L = the length of the rod
Q = total charge
k = constant
Ex = (kQ) / (a2 + aL)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
At first the sphere is attracted by the rod because the positive charge on the rod attracts the negative charge on the sphere while repelling the positive charge on the sphere. This part I understand.

Initially I thought that when sphere touched the rod the excess positive charge would flow into the sphere and the rod would repel the sphere. However, because the rod is nonconducting there should be no flow of charge.

In another attempt I thought that perhaps when the sphere made contact with the rod, then it was close enough for the electric field which repels the sphere to overcome the electric field which attracts the sphere. But if the repulsive field increases, I'm assuming the attractive field is increasing at the same rate.

From here I'm not sure what other angles I can look at this from. Could it be the case the rod is not perfectly non conducting so some positive charge does flow into the sphere and thus the repulsion occurs?

Physics news on Phys.org
MonkeyDLuffy said:
At first the sphere is attracted by the rod because the positive charge on the rod attracts the negative charge on the sphere while repelling the positive charge on the sphere. This part I understand.
That alone is not sufficient. The positive and negative charge have the same charge (in magnitude). The effect you are looking for needs one step more.
MonkeyDLuffy said:
Initially I thought that when sphere touched the rod the excess positive charge would flow into the sphere and the rod would repel the sphere. However, because the rod is nonconducting there should be no flow of charge.
Positive charges are nuclei of atoms, those don't move in solids. The rod might not be a good conductor, but there are no perfect insulators. Some charge will be transferred.

mfb said:
Positive charges are nuclei of atoms, those don't move in solids. The rod might not be a good conductor, but there are no perfect insulators. Some charge will be transferred.
mfb is absolutely correct, what moves around are electrons (negatively charged). I can conceive that upon contact, some electrons move from the sphere to the non-conducting rod, but not much though, and the potential of the non-conducting rod remains positive, even though it is now a little less than it started. That will be enough though to make the sphere positively charged.
Now that both objects are positively charged, you can guess what happens next!

1. How does a metal sphere become drawn to a charged rod?

A metal sphere becomes drawn to a charged rod because of the phenomenon known as electrostatic attraction. When a charged object, such as a rod, is brought near a neutral object, the charged particles in the neutral object are polarized and temporarily attracted to the opposite charge on the rod.

2. Why does the metal sphere repel from the charged rod?

The metal sphere repels from the charged rod due to the principle of electrostatic repulsion. Like charges (positive and positive, or negative and negative) repel each other, causing the metal sphere to be pushed away from the charged rod.

3. What determines the strength of the repulsion between the metal sphere and charged rod?

The strength of the repulsion between the metal sphere and charged rod is determined by the amount of charge on the rod and the distance between the rod and the sphere. The greater the charge on the rod and the closer the distance, the stronger the repulsion will be.

4. Why does the metal sphere only move when the charged rod is brought near it?

The metal sphere only moves when the charged rod is brought near it because electrostatic forces are only present when there is a difference in charge between two objects. When the rod is brought near the neutral sphere, the difference in charge causes the sphere to experience a force and move towards or away from the rod.

5. How does the movement of the metal sphere demonstrate the behavior of electric charges?

The movement of the metal sphere demonstrates the behavior of electric charges through the principles of electrostatic attraction and repulsion. When the charged rod is brought near the neutral sphere, the charges in the sphere are polarized and either attracted or repelled by the opposite charge on the rod. This behavior is a result of the fundamental property of electric charges to either attract or repel each other based on their charge.