Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metallic cube with circular hole

1. Apr 23, 2014 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

There is a cube with its sides equal to d and its thikness equal to t. It also has a circular hole at its center with radius a (a<<d). Two sides of the cube are maintained at potentials [itex] V_0 [/itex] and [itex] -V_0 [/itex].
    I want to find the potential inside the cube but I see no way for obtaining the boundary conditions: the potential function at the boundary of the hole and the potential of the sides of the cube which are not connected to the battery. I just have no idea.Can anyone help?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2014 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

This doesn't make any sense to me. Is it a solid cube? If so, the statement that the side = d defines the cube - what then does it mean to say the thickness = t? Is it a hollow cube with side = d and the thickness of the faces = t? If so, how can it have a hole at the center? Do you mean that one or more of the faces has a hole at the center? Also, which two sides have the applied potential? Two opposite sides? Two adjacent sides? Please describe it in more detail or provide a drawing.

4. Apr 24, 2014 #3

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Sorry...

Attached Files:

5. Apr 24, 2014 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

That helps. So it is not a cube, unless d = t. Is it a dielectric? Can you use superposition, considering a solid "cube" superposed with a cylinder?

6. Apr 24, 2014 #5

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Its a metal, a conductor!
    I don't understand. Please clarify a bit!

7. Apr 24, 2014 #6

phyzguy

Science Advisor

OK, so it's a conductor with a current flowing through it. Do you know how to solve the problem without the hole?

8. Apr 24, 2014 #7

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Yeah, that seems easy.
    The potential inside the cuboid is [itex] \phi=Ax+B [/itex] if we take the x axis to be parallel to its lower edge. The constants A and B can be calculated easily using given potentials for two sides.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook