Metallurgy and materials engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential of carbon fibers in the textile industry and the speaker's interest in pursuing a master's degree in this field. They mention the advantages of carbon fiber composites, such as their strength and light weight, and speculate about their future applications in industries like aircraft and automobiles. The speaker also acknowledges that carbon fibers are currently the best choice for high-performance composites.
emily123
hi everbody..

i graduated form metallurgy and metarials engineering.. ı want to do my master degree..l've been having trouble choosing the field.. i m intersted in carbon fibers about textile.. but ı didnt take any class for this material..

so what u think carbon fibers ın textile will be a good area for me..do u see any future for this material.. i hope ı describe my self sorry for bad english.. i m waiting for your suggestions.. thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Carbon fiber composites are common now in aircraft and some automobile applications. With high strength and low mass/weight, CFC's are attractive with regard to helping reduce fuel utilization.

Carbon fibres are both present and future. All attempts to make better competitors failed up to now, so they will probably remain the standard choice for high-performance composite.

What is metallurgy?

Metallurgy is the branch of science and engineering that deals with the physical and chemical behavior of metallic elements, their compounds, and their mixtures, known as alloys. It involves the extraction, purification, and processing of metals to create useful materials.

What is materials engineering?

Materials engineering is a multidisciplinary field that applies principles of physics, chemistry, and engineering to design, develop, and improve materials. It involves studying the structure, properties, and processing of various materials, such as metals, ceramics, polymers, and composites, to create new materials with specific properties for various applications.

What are the different types of metallurgy?

The three main types of metallurgy are extractive metallurgy, physical metallurgy, and process metallurgy. Extractive metallurgy deals with the extraction of metals from their ores, physical metallurgy deals with the structure and properties of metals, and process metallurgy involves the production and improvement of metals through various processes.

What are the applications of metallurgy and materials engineering?

Metallurgy and materials engineering have a wide range of applications in industries such as aerospace, automotive, construction, energy, healthcare, and more. They are used to create materials with specific properties, such as strength, durability, corrosion resistance, and conductivity, for various applications.

What are the challenges in metallurgy and materials engineering?

Some of the challenges in metallurgy and materials engineering include finding new sources of raw materials, reducing energy consumption and environmental impact in production processes, and developing new materials with improved properties to meet the demands of emerging technologies.