Method of characteristics. pde. limits of integral question

In summary, the conversation is about using the method of characteristics to solve a PDE with initial data parameterized by s and given by x(τ)=x0(s),y(τ)=y0(s),u(τ)=u0(s) at τ=0. The question is about understanding the limits of the integral in the solution, which is given by u=∫τ0f(x(τ'),y(τ'))dτ'+u0. Chetan explains that in this problem, dx/dt=a, dy/dt=b, and du/dt=c, and that du/dt represents the rate of change of u moving along with velocity components Vx and Vy.
binbagsss
I'm using the method of characteristics to solve a pde of the from ## au_{x}+bu_{y}=c##

where ## a=\frac{dx}{d \tau} , b= a=\frac{dy}{d \tau}, c=a=\frac{du}{d \tau}##

where initial data is parameterised by ##s## and initial curve given by ##x( \tau)=x_{0}(s)##, ##y( \tau)=y_{0}(s)## and ##u( \tau)=u_{0}(s)## at ## \tau = 0## .

Question:

Questions been given so far on my course have ## c ## given explicitly. I'm trying to solve:
##u_{x} + u_{y} =f(x,y)##. subject to initial data ##u=g(y)## on ##x=0##, functions ##f## and ##g## given.

Attempt:

Solving ## \frac{du}{d\tau} = f(x,y)##
i get ##u= \int f(x(\tau),y(\tau))d\tau+ u_{0}.##

QUESTION: In the solution the limits of this integral run from ##\tau## to 0. I'm not used to doing these with limits, and if I'm honest, I'm totally clueless where this comes from... can someone please explain the integral limits to me? usually when it's just given explicitly I just integrate.

So the solution has : ##u= \int^{\tau} _{0} f(x(\tau '),y(\tau ')) d\tau '+ u_{0}##

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution is in the indefinite form. If you wanted to find ##u(t)## you would need limits on your integral. The solution you posted is for ##u(\tau)##.

Let du=uxdx+uydy. From this, it follows that
[tex]\frac{du}{dt}=u_x\frac{dx}{dt}+u_y\frac{dy}{dt}=V_xu_x+V_yu_y[/tex]
Think of Vx and Vy as the x and y components of velocity, and think of u as traveling along with this velocity. So du/dt is the rate of change of u moving along with velocity components Vx and Vy.

So, in your problem,

##\frac{dx}{dt}=a##

##\frac{dy}{dt}=b##

and, from your differential equation ##\frac{du}{dt}=c##

Hope this helps.

Chet

1. What is the method of characteristics?

The method of characteristics is a mathematical technique used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs). It involves transforming the PDE into a system of ordinary differential equations (ODEs) by introducing new variables called characteristics. These ODEs can then be solved using standard methods, and the solutions can be used to construct the solution to the original PDE.

2. How does the method of characteristics work?

The method of characteristics works by converting a PDE into a system of ODEs, which can be solved using standard techniques. This is done by introducing new variables called characteristics, which are defined by the PDE itself. Once the ODEs are solved, the solutions can be used to construct the solution to the original PDE.

3. How is the method of characteristics used in practical applications?

The method of characteristics is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and electrodynamics. It is particularly useful in solving PDEs that describe the behavior of complex systems, as it allows for a systematic and efficient approach to finding solutions.

4. What are the limitations of the method of characteristics?

The method of characteristics is not applicable to all types of PDEs. It is most effective for linear PDEs with constant coefficients, and may not yield accurate solutions for nonlinear or time-dependent PDEs. Additionally, it may be challenging to apply the method to PDEs with irregular boundaries or complex initial conditions.

5. How do you determine the limits of an integral in the method of characteristics?

The limits of an integral in the method of characteristics are determined by considering the characteristics of the PDE. These characteristics represent the paths along which the solution is constant, and the integral is taken along these paths. The limits of the integral will depend on the specific PDE being solved and may require some manipulation to determine accurately.