1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MI of rectangular and triangular lamina

1. Feb 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

can anyone please send me the link to calculate the moment of inertia of cuboid,rectangular and triangular lamina ??(along with figure)
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

Just use the formula:

I = ∫ r2 dm

Taken over all the mass elements.

Since you are interested in lamina then you're only interested in two dimensional area density.

4. Feb 22, 2009 #3
    thank you so much for your help..
    while deriving the formula for rectangular lamina,of sides 2a and 2b(i.e.,length 2a and breadth 2b),when i consider a thin horizontal strip parallel to x-axis at distance y from x-axis and infinitesimally small thickness dy,
    after using the formula you have given..what limits of the integral should i take??please help..
    one last thing i need to know is that in the link which you have sent,under extended explanation someone's written
    WARNING: there is no such thing as moment of inertia about a point
    and then the definition of moment of inertia about a point is mentioned...if there's no such thing as moment of inertia about a point then how do we define MI in 1 dimension??
    like MI in 2-d is about a line and MI in 3-d is about coordinate axis..then in 1-d is it not supposed to be about a point??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook