MI of rectangular and triangular lamina

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of moment of inertia for cuboid, rectangular, and triangular lamina. The formula for moment of inertia is given as I = ∫ r2 dm, taken over all the mass elements. The limits of the integral for the rectangular lamina are discussed, and the concept of moment of inertia about a point is questioned.
Mansi Khanna

Homework Statement

can anyone please send me the link to calculate the moment of inertia of cuboid,rectangular and triangular lamina ??(along with figure)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Just use the formula:

I = ∫ r2 dm

Taken over all the mass elements.

Since you are interested in lamina then you're only interested in two dimensional area density.

thank you so much for your help..
while deriving the formula for rectangular lamina,of sides 2a and 2b(i.e.,length 2a and breadth 2b),when i consider a thin horizontal strip parallel to x-axis at distance y from x-axis and infinitesimally small thickness dy,
after using the formula you have given..what limits of the integral should i take??please help..
one last thing i need to know is that in the link which you have sent,under extended explanation someone's written
WARNING: there is no such thing as moment of inertia about a point
and then the definition of moment of inertia about a point is mentioned...if there's no such thing as moment of inertia about a point then how do we define MI in 1 dimension??
like MI in 2-d is about a line and MI in 3-d is about coordinate axis..then in 1-d is it not supposed to be about a point??

What is the moment of inertia of a rectangular lamina?

The moment of inertia of a rectangular lamina is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the lamina by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

How is the moment of inertia of a triangular lamina calculated?

The moment of inertia of a triangular lamina is calculated by dividing the base of the triangle by 12 and multiplying the result by the height cubed.

What is the significance of the moment of inertia of a lamina?

The moment of inertia of a lamina is important in understanding and predicting its behavior in rotational motion. It is used in calculations related to torque and angular acceleration.

How does the moment of inertia of a triangular lamina compare to that of a rectangular lamina?

The moment of inertia of a triangular lamina is typically smaller than that of a rectangular lamina with the same mass and dimensions. This is because a triangular shape has less material farther from the axis of rotation, resulting in a smaller moment of inertia.

Can the moment of inertia of a lamina be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a lamina can be changed by altering its mass, shape, or distance from the axis of rotation. For example, increasing the mass or distance from the axis of rotation will increase the moment of inertia, while changing the shape to one with more material farther from the axis of rotation will also increase the moment of inertia.