Calculating Specimen Size Using Microscope Magnification | Homework Help

In summary, the formula for finding the real size of an object using a microscope is magnification = image size/real size of object. In this case, with a magnification of 40x and an image size of 1600 µm, the real size of the object is 40 µm. If the specimen takes up a quarter of this space, it would be 10 nm in size. It is important to test the answer in extreme situations to verify its accuracy.
lha08

Homework Statement

If the field diameter on 40X is 1600 µm, and a specimen takes up one quarter of the field, how big is the specimen in real life?

Homework Equations

Magnification of image= Image size/ Real size of object

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure but in the formula, would be put the magnification of the image as 40 and image size as 1600 µm and solve? or would we simply find one quarter of 1600 µm and that would be the actual size of the specimen..? I'm a little confused so could help me clear things up about the differences between the two?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ignore the quarter for now.

If the magnification is 40x and the image is 1600um then what is the real size of the object (hint the microscope makes things look BIGGER!)

mgb_phys said:
Ignore the quarter for now.

If the magnification is 40x and the image is 1600um then what is the real size of the object (hint the microscope makes things look BIGGER!)

Umm...I'm not really sure but all i can think of is that the magnification is 40 which is equal to 1600um divided by the real size of object and do i solve for the unknown?

Ignore the algebra an just think what's happening.

If the magnification was 2x then the object would appear twice as big as it really is.
If it appears 1600um then it must really be 1600/2 = 800um

mgb_phys said:
Ignore the algebra an just think what's happening.

If the magnification was 2x then the object would appear twice as big as it really is.
If it appears 1600um then it must really be 1600/2 = 800um

So in this case, the magnification is 40x so the object is 40 times bigger than the actual size, so 1600/40= 40 um?

lha08 said:
So in this case, the magnification is 40x so the object is 40 times bigger than the actual size, so 1600/40= 40 um?

Good, now if the specimen takes up a quarter of this space, how big is it?

Last edited:
BAnders1 said:
Good, now if the specimen takes up a quarter of this space, how big is it?
ahh oki so a quarter of 40 um is equal to 10 nm (that's the answer?)

lha08 said:
ahh oki so a quarter of 40 um is equal to 10 nm (that's the answer?)

If you have any doubt as to what the answer is, CONVINCE YOURSELF. What if you were a ridiculously tall Titan of 100ft whose naked eye could only focus on something as close as 4 inches away? Let's say some funny fellow Titan created a device (we'll call it a microscope) which could focus on things up to the unheard of size of ONE CENTIMETER (wow!). Now let's say you were a titan studying the complexities of a human pupil. If your Titan microscope could focus up 10X, and the pupil covered 1/4 of this size, how big would you say a human pupil was, after viewing it through the microscope?

What I'm trying to say is that we aren't allowed to tell you if your answer is correct or not, thus you must think of some extreme situation to test the answer yourself.

1. How do I calculate the magnification of a microscope?

To calculate the magnification of a microscope, you need to know the magnification of the objective lens and the eyepiece. The total magnification is calculated by multiplying the two values together. For example, if the objective lens has a magnification of 40x and the eyepiece has a magnification of 10x, the total magnification would be 400x.

2. What is the field of view and how do I calculate it?

The field of view is the diameter of the circular area that is visible when looking through the microscope. To calculate the field of view, you can use a ruler or a stage micrometer to measure the diameter of the circular area in millimeters. Then, divide that number by the magnification of the objective lens. For example, if the diameter of the field of view is 4mm and the objective lens has a magnification of 40x, the field of view would be 0.1mm.

3. How do I calculate the resolution of a microscope?

The resolution of a microscope is the ability to distinguish between two closely spaced objects. To calculate the resolution, you need to know the numerical aperture (NA) of the objective lens and the wavelength of light used. The resolution can be calculated using the formula: resolution = 0.61 x (wavelength / NA). Keep in mind that the resolution of a microscope is limited by the wavelength of light used and the numerical aperture of the objective lens.

4. What is the working distance of a microscope and how do I measure it?

The working distance of a microscope is the distance between the objective lens and the specimen when it is in focus. This distance can vary depending on the magnification of the objective lens. To measure the working distance, you can use a ruler or a stage micrometer to measure the distance between the bottom of the objective lens and the top of the specimen when it is in focus.

5. How do I calculate the depth of field in a microscope?

The depth of field in a microscope is the thickness of the specimen that can be seen in focus at one time. To calculate the depth of field, you need to know the numerical aperture of the objective lens and the wavelength of light used. The depth of field can be calculated using the formula: depth of field = (0.612 x wavelength) / (NA^2). Keep in mind that the depth of field decreases as the magnification of the objective lens increases.