How Do Film Badges Used in Nuclear Plants Respond to Microwave Radiation?

In summary, film badges used in nuclear plants respond to both microwave radiation and ionizing radiation. However, it is unclear how they respond to microwaves and it is recommended to test this with a dentist's film. TLD devices, on the other hand, are read through heating and a photo-sensitive device, and this is how radiation from Nagasaki and Hiroshima was measured much later.
BillJx
Someone told me that the film badges used in nuclear plants respond to microwave radiation from microwave ovens, as well as to the ionizing radiation they're intended for. I don't understand how this could work. Can someone explain it, or is it just not true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Film badges don't respond to microwaves.
I don't know about TLDs - they are read and reset by heat so I suppose if you put them in a microwave they could respond.

I suspect heating of the film may darken it. Ask your dentist for some film and try it. It has a Pb backing that, I suspect, must be removed.

TLD devices are read by heating, which releases the stored energy from the irradiation. A photo-sensitive device does the reading. This is how Nagasaki / Hiroshima radiation was much later measured from pottery (roof tiles?)

bc

What are microwaves and gamma rays?

Microwaves and gamma rays are both forms of electromagnetic radiation. Microwaves have longer wavelengths and lower frequencies than gamma rays, and are commonly used in household appliances like microwave ovens. Gamma rays have shorter wavelengths and higher frequencies, and are often used in medical imaging and cancer treatment.

How are microwaves and gamma rays produced?

Microwaves are produced by electrical currents, such as those found in household appliances. Gamma rays are produced by high-energy processes, such as nuclear reactions and supernova explosions.

What are the potential health effects of exposure to microwaves and gamma rays?

Exposure to high levels of microwaves can cause burns and tissue damage due to their ability to heat objects. Gamma rays are highly energetic and can also cause damage to living tissue, including DNA damage and increased risk of cancer.

What are some practical applications of microwaves and gamma rays?

Microwaves are commonly used in cooking, communication (such as in cell phones and Wi-Fi), and radar technology. Gamma rays have a wide range of medical uses, including cancer treatment and medical imaging techniques like CT scans and PET scans.

Can microwaves and gamma rays be harmful to the environment?

Both microwaves and gamma rays can have harmful effects on the environment. Microwaves can interfere with bird and insect navigation, and both microwaves and gamma rays can damage plants and disrupt ecosystems. However, the levels of radiation from human-produced sources are typically not high enough to cause significant environmental harm.