Milikan's Experiment Lab - Euclidean Algorithm

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem similar to Milikan's experiment, where the goal is to find the mass of one jellybean by using the Euclidean algorithm on 10 bags with different masses. The suggested solution involves subtracting the mass of the bags and using integer division to find the remainder, which is then used to determine the mass of one bean. A Java program is also mentioned, but the question of when to stop using the algorithm arises. The expert then provides an example and suggests repeating the procedure until there is only one non-zero remainder, which represents the mass of one jellybean.
Morass

Homework Statement

Hey guys I need help with a lab I'm doing that is similar to the Milikan's experiment. I am given 10 bags each holding the same item (Jellybean) of various quantities. Each bag has a different mass. What I'm trying to figure out is the mass of the individual item, so mass of 1 jellybean. This is similar to finding the elementary charges for milikan's experiment.

Homework Equations

I believe using the euclidean algorithm is the best method because all the bags should be a integer multiple of the mass of 1 jellybean.

The Attempt at a Solution

First i subtracted the mass of the bags from the mass of bag + jellybeans, to find the mass of the jellybeans only. Then i ordered the various masses in increasing order. Now my problem is, in doing Euclidean Algorithm to find GCD, since these numbers are real numbers, how do I know when to stop using the algorithm. I've made a Java program that does the algorithm recursively but I'm not sure when to stop because this algorithm can go on forever. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do integer division with the smallest mass (m1) (result is Ni for the i-th mass) and replace all masses by the remainder mi-Ni*m1.Choose the smallest again and repeat till you get zero remainder for all but one. The last smallest mass still can include a few beans, but that is the best you can do.

As an example: assume that here are 5 bags of mass 33, 16.83, 15.84, 5.94, 2.31. The smallest is 2.31, integer division gives 14, 7, 6, 2, and the remainders are 0.66, 0.66, 1.98, 1.32, Choose these values for mi and add also 2.31. The smallest is 0.66. Repeat the procedure, the remainders are 0, 0, 0, 0, 0.33. You have one non-zero remainder, that is the mass of one bean (or integer multiple of it).

ehild

1. What is Milikan's Experiment Lab?

Milikan's Experiment Lab is a laboratory experiment designed by American physicist Robert A. Millikan in 1911 to determine the charge of an electron.

2. What is the Euclidean Algorithm?

The Euclidean Algorithm is a mathematical method for finding the greatest common divisor (GCD) of two integers. It is based on the principle that the GCD of two numbers is the same as the GCD of the smaller number and the remainder when the larger number is divided by the smaller number.

3. How does Milikan's Experiment Lab use the Euclidean Algorithm?

In Milikan's Experiment Lab, the Euclidean Algorithm is used to determine the charge of an electron by measuring the oil droplets' mass and their falling velocity in an electric field. The GCD of these values is then calculated using the Euclidean Algorithm, and the charge of an electron can be found using the known values of the oil's density and the applied electric field.

4. What are the practical applications of Milikan's Experiment Lab and the Euclidean Algorithm?

Milikan's Experiment Lab and the Euclidean Algorithm have several practical applications in various fields such as physics, mathematics, and engineering. They are used to determine the charge of an electron, find the GCD of two numbers, solve equations, and encrypt data in cryptography.

5. Are there any limitations to using Milikan's Experiment Lab and the Euclidean Algorithm?

Yes, there are limitations to using Milikan's Experiment Lab and the Euclidean Algorithm. The accuracy of the experiment depends on the precision of the equipment used, and the Euclidean Algorithm may not work for large numbers with many decimal places. Additionally, the experiment is only applicable to finding the charge of an electron and cannot be used for other particles.