Millikan Experiment: Calculating Charge and Excess Electrons

In summary, the conversation discusses a Millikan type experiment where a sphere with a mass of 2.2x10^-31 Kg is placed between two parallel plates with a potential difference of 350V and the upper plate is negative. The conversation then asks about the charge, magnitude of charge, and excess or deficit of electrons on the sphere. The answer to the first question is positive charge due to the electric force exerted opposing the weight. The magnitude of the charge can be found using the equation EQ=mg and the electric field strength between the plates can be found using E=V/d.
zmike
In Millikan type experiment, 2 plates parallel 1 cm apart. Sphere mass of 2.2x 10^-31 Kg doesn't move when potential diff is 350V with upper plate negative

a) What charge is sphere + or -
b) magnitude of charge on sphere?
c) How much excess or deficit of electrons does it have.

MY ATTEMPT:

a) I am guessing it's + b/c of gravity and the negative upper plate.
b) uhhh Fe=Fg? What do I use for plates, I know how to do this if it was ALL point charges but not with plates
c) ...no idea how to get charge on the sphere so can't get this one

thanks -please help I have my exam tmr morning

Physics news on Phys.org
a) correct. Since the electric force exerted needs to oppose the weight
b) [itex]F_E=W \Rightarrow EQ=mg[/itex]

Do you know how to find the electric field strength between two parallell plates?

thanks for the reply

how do you find electric field strength for plates?

E=V/d

1. What was the purpose of the Millikan Experiment?

The purpose of the Millikan Experiment was to determine the charge of an electron and the number of excess electrons on an oil droplet, in order to calculate the fundamental charge of an electron.

2. How was the charge of an electron measured in the Millikan Experiment?

In the Millikan Experiment, the charge of an electron was measured by observing the motion of oil droplets in an electric field. By varying the strength of the electric field and measuring the droplet's terminal velocity, the charge of the droplet could be determined and used to calculate the charge of an electron.

3. What were the results of the Millikan Experiment?

The results of the Millikan Experiment showed that the charge of an electron was a constant value, and that it was the smallest unit of electric charge. The experiment also determined the value of the fundamental charge of an electron to be approximately 1.6 x 10^-19 Coulombs.

4. What impact did the Millikan Experiment have on atomic theory?

The Millikan Experiment provided strong evidence for the existence of individual units of electric charge, supporting the theory that atoms are made up of smaller particles. It also helped to refine the understanding of the structure of the atom and the role of electrons in electricity.

5. How is the Millikan Experiment still relevant today?

The Millikan Experiment continues to be relevant today as it is used as a model for other experiments that measure the charge of particles, such as the Large Hadron Collider. It also serves as a demonstration of the scientific method and the importance of accurate and precise measurements in scientific research.