Minimizing Drag When Flow Over Plate with Hole

• Thread starter mrBrown
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow Hole
In summary, the problem is that there is a large air bubble inside the hull of a submarine and we need to get it out quickly so that it does not disturb the flow of water. There are several options for doing this, but the best option is to drill a large hole and let the air pour out.
mrBrown
Hi, I have a problem concerning a flow (water) over a plate with hole in it.
Under the hole, there is an air bubble desperately wanting to get out. What I would like to know is the following: How to shape the hole in order to minimize the drag.

the problem is as follows:
There is a torpedo-shaped hull (submarine) sailing at a few meters below the water surface. There are a few holes in the hull, so the pressure on the inside is approximately equal to the pressure outside.
Inside the hull is a (large, about a dm^3) airbubble. We need to get the air out, so we drill a hole in the hull just above the airbubble. The air will pour out and mix with the flow outside. This way, we want to loose all the air in a few seconds.
Since we want the drag to be as low as possible, we do not want the flow to be disturbed to much (not to trigger flow separation).
There are a few options.

1. drill one big hole, creating a big, but local, disturbance
2. drill a few smaller holes, creating a smaller disturbance, but over a larger area
3. drill holes of some special shape (not just circular) or under some strange angle
4. use some sort of 'filter' of 'canvas' in order to create microbubbles.

I've been searching for some theory about this kind of problems, but I can't really find anything. I was hoping you could help me a bit ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would drill the holes at a 45 degree angle so that the drill would push out with a component directed towards the rear of the submarine. this would help to get the bubble headed in the same direction as the water streaming by, helping minimize turbulance. The wake of bubbles skimming the outside hull might help to create some kind of pressure differential effects, but I wouldn't know off hand where to drill more holes to take advantage of these effects. I would maybe try drilling another (but smaller) hole just downstream of the first, or maybe two holes equadistant from the longitudinal line down the hull from the first hole and on a line perpendicular to it. But yeah, I'd start with a big hole.

Hello, thank you for sharing your problem with us. Minimizing drag in fluid flow is a common concern in various industries, such as aerospace and marine engineering. In your case, the main goal is to remove the air bubble from the submarine hull without causing too much disturbance in the flow and increasing drag. There are a few factors to consider in order to achieve this goal.

Firstly, the shape and size of the hole will play a significant role in minimizing drag. As you have mentioned, drilling one big hole may create a large disturbance in the flow, leading to increased drag. On the other hand, drilling multiple smaller holes may distribute the disturbance over a larger area, reducing the overall drag. However, the placement of these smaller holes should also be carefully considered to avoid triggering flow separation.

Another factor to consider is the shape of the holes. Circular holes may cause less disturbance compared to irregularly shaped holes. Additionally, drilling the holes at an angle or using a filter to create microbubbles can also help in reducing drag.

To find a more precise solution, you may need to conduct some experiments or simulations to determine the optimal size, shape, and placement of the holes. Additionally, researching on the topic of flow separation and drag reduction techniques may provide more insight into your problem. I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. What is drag and why is it important to minimize it when flowing over a plate with a hole?

Drag is the force that resists the motion of an object through a fluid (such as air or water). When flowing over a plate with a hole, minimizing drag is important because it can reduce the energy required to move the object and improve its overall efficiency.

2. How does the size and shape of the hole affect drag?

The size and shape of the hole can greatly impact the amount of drag experienced. Generally, smaller and more streamlined holes will result in less drag compared to larger and more irregularly shaped holes.

3. Can the placement of the hole on the plate affect drag?

Yes, the placement of the hole on the plate can also impact the amount of drag experienced. Placing the hole near the leading edge of the plate can create a smoother flow, reducing drag. However, placing the hole too close to the trailing edge can create turbulence and increase drag.

4. What are some techniques for minimizing drag when flowing over a plate with a hole?

Some techniques for minimizing drag include using a streamlined shape for the hole, placing the hole in an optimal location on the plate, and using surface treatments (such as dimples or riblets) to reduce drag. Additionally, reducing the overall size and number of holes can also help to minimize drag.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to minimizing drag when flowing over a plate with a hole?

While minimizing drag can improve efficiency and reduce energy consumption, it may also lead to reduced lift and stability of the object. This can be a concern for certain applications, such as aircraft design, where lift and stability are important factors to consider.