Minimum of Ʃ[itex]^{n}_{i=1}[/itex][itex]\left|x_{i}-z\right|[/itex]

• Thread starter no_alone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minimum
Just like the mean and the median themselves are different when there are few terms, e.g. 0,1,99,100 compared to 0,1,2,3.In summary, the minimum value of the function Ʃ^{n}_{i=1}\left|x_{i}-z\right| is achieved when z is the median of the constants x_{i}. This can be found by using the arithmetic-geometrical means inequality and considering the function Ʃ^{n}_{i=1}\left|x_{i}-z\right|^2 instead. The derivative of this function can help determine the minimum value, which is at the median rather than the mean.
no_alone

Homework Statement

Hello,
I have a question what is
What is the minimum of Ʃ[itex]^{n}_{i=1}[/itex][itex]\left|x_{i}-z\right|[/itex]
x[itex]_{i}[/itex] are constants

Homework Equations

Not Much

The Attempt at a Solution

I split the sum to 3 sums
Ʃ[itex]^{}_{x_{i}>z}[/itex][itex](x_{i}-z)[/itex] + Ʃ[itex]^{}_{x_{i}<z}[/itex][itex](-x_{i}+z)[/itex]+Ʃ[itex]^{}_{x_{i}=z}[/itex][itex](x_{i}-z)[/itex]
then I split the sums again:
Ʃ[itex]^{}_{x_{i}>z}[/itex][itex](x_{i})[/itex]+Ʃ[itex]^{}_{x_{i}>z}[/itex][itex](-z)[/itex] + Ʃ[itex]^{}_{x_{i}<z}[/itex][itex](-x_{i})[/itex] + Ʃ[itex]^{}_{x_{i}<z}[/itex][itex](z)[/itex]+Ʃ[itex]^{}_{x_{i}=z}[/itex][itex](x_{i}-z)[/itex]
This is Equall to
Ʃ[itex]^{}_{x_{i}>z}[/itex][itex](x_{i})[/itex]-[itex]n^{}_{x_{i}>z}[/itex][itex]*z[/itex] + Ʃ[itex]^{}_{x_{i}<z}[/itex][itex](-x_{i})[/itex] + [itex]n^{}_{x_{i}<z}[/itex][itex]*z[/itex]+Ʃ[itex]^{}_{x_{i}=z}[/itex][itex]x_{i}-z[/itex]-[itex]n^{}_{x_{i}=z}[/itex][itex]z[/itex]

Then I derivative by z and =0 to find maximum
I get:
-[itex]n^{}_{x_{i}>z}[/itex]+ [itex]n^{}_{x_{i}<z}[/itex]-[itex]n^{}_{x_{i}=z}[/itex]=0

If x_{i}≠z for every i then
-[itex]n^{}_{x_{i}>z}[/itex]+ [itex]n^{}_{x_{i}<z}[/itex]=0

[itex]n^{}_{x_{i}<z}[/itex]=[itex]n^{}_{x_{i}>z}[/itex]

If there is i that x_{i}=z
[itex]n^{}_{x_{i}<z}[/itex] = [itex]n^{}_{x_{i}>z}[/itex]+[itex]n^{}_{x_{i}=z}[/itex]

What we get is that the minimus is when z is the median of x_{i}

But I have a problem, when I try for example to derivate:
[itex]n^{}_{x_{i}<z}[/itex][itex]*z[/itex]
n is dependent on z soo... I cannot do it! I don't know how to derivate it...

Thank's for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a nonnegative function, so you want to find for which value of z it gets the minimal value.

As always we have the arithmetic-geometrical means inequality:

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n}\frac{|z-x_i|}{n} \geq \prod_{i=1}^{n} (|z-x_i|)^{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]

So the minimum value of this function is achieved when the above LHS equals the RHS, and this happens when:

[tex]|z-x_i|=|z-x_j|[/tex] for all [tex]i\neq j[/tex].

no_alone said:

Homework Statement

Hello,
I have a question what is
What is the minimum of Ʃ[itex]^{n}_{i=1}[/itex][itex]\left|x_{i}-z\right|[/itex]
x[itex]_{i}[/itex] are constants

Homework Equations

Not Much

The Attempt at a Solution

I split the sum to 3 sums
Ʃ[itex]^{}_{x_{i}>z}[/itex][itex](x_{i}-z)[/itex] + Ʃ[itex]^{}_{x_{i}<z}[/itex][itex](-x_{i}+z)[/itex]+Ʃ[itex]^{}_{x_{i}=z}[/itex][itex](x_{i}-z)[/itex]
then I split the sums again:
Ʃ[itex]^{}_{x_{i}>z}[/itex][itex](x_{i})[/itex]+Ʃ[itex]^{}_{x_{i}>z}[/itex][itex](-z)[/itex] + Ʃ[itex]^{}_{x_{i}<z}[/itex][itex](-x_{i})[/itex] + Ʃ[itex]^{}_{x_{i}<z}[/itex][itex](z)[/itex]+Ʃ[itex]^{}_{x_{i}=z}[/itex][itex](x_{i}-z)[/itex]
This is Equall to
Ʃ[itex]^{}_{x_{i}>z}[/itex][itex](x_{i})[/itex]-[itex]n^{}_{x_{i}>z}[/itex][itex]*z[/itex] + Ʃ[itex]^{}_{x_{i}<z}[/itex][itex](-x_{i})[/itex] + [itex]n^{}_{x_{i}<z}[/itex][itex]*z[/itex]+Ʃ[itex]^{}_{x_{i}=z}[/itex][itex]x_{i}-z[/itex]-[itex]n^{}_{x_{i}=z}[/itex][itex]z[/itex]

Then I derivative by z and =0 to find maximum
I get:
-[itex]n^{}_{x_{i}>z}[/itex]+ [itex]n^{}_{x_{i}<z}[/itex]-[itex]n^{}_{x_{i}=z}[/itex]=0

If x_{i}≠z for every i then
-[itex]n^{}_{x_{i}>z}[/itex]+ [itex]n^{}_{x_{i}<z}[/itex]=0

[itex]n^{}_{x_{i}<z}[/itex]=[itex]n^{}_{x_{i}>z}[/itex]

If there is i that x_{i}=z
[itex]n^{}_{x_{i}<z}[/itex] = [itex]n^{}_{x_{i}>z}[/itex]+[itex]n^{}_{x_{i}=z}[/itex]

What we get is that the minimus is when z is the median of x_{i}

But I have a problem, when I try for example to derivate:
[itex]n^{}_{x_{i}<z}[/itex][itex]*z[/itex]
n is dependent on z soo... I cannot do it! I don't know how to derivate it...

Thank's for the help

Setting the derivative to zero is a mistake: the function ##f(z) =\sum_i |z - x_i| ## is piecewise differentiable only, and may not have a derivative at all at the minimizing point. For example, draw the graph of ##f(z) = |z-1|+|z-2|+|z-3|.##

You are correct that the minimum is at the median, but there is an easier way to get this: imagine that the x_i are sorted in increasing order, so ##x_1 < x_2 < \cdots < x_n##; I'll let you worry about the modifications needed in the argument if some of the x_i are equal. So, to the left of x_1 the slope of the graph of f(z) is -n, because
[tex] f(z) = \sum_{i=1}^n x_i - nz [/tex] when z < x_1 . As z increases through x_1 the slope increases by 2, to become -n+2. Every time z passes through the next x_i the slope increases by 2.

If you're looking for a minimum of the form ##\sum|x|##, you can look at the function ##\sum x^2## instead, since |x| and x² are extreme at the same places.

If you do that for this case, you'll be led to the arithmetic mean of the xi and not their median.

Michael Redei said:
If you're looking for a minimum of the form ##\sum|x|##, you can look at the function ##\sum x^2## instead, since |x| and x² are extreme at the same places.

If you do that for this case, you'll be led to the arithmetic mean of the xi and not their median.

In this problem the minimum is at the median, not at the mean. The two forms |x-z| and (x-z)^2 give different things when there is more than one such term.

What is the meaning of "Minimum of Ʃ[itex]^{n}_{i=1}[/itex][itex]\left|x_{i}-z\right|[/itex]?"

The minimum of Ʃ[itex]^{n}_{i=1}[/itex][itex]\left|x_{i}-z\right|[/itex] is a mathematical expression used to find the smallest possible value that can be obtained by summing the absolute differences between a set of n numbers (x₁, x₂, ..., xₙ) and a given number z. It is often used in statistics and optimization problems.

How do you calculate the minimum of Ʃ[itex]^{n}_{i=1}[/itex][itex]\left|x_{i}-z\right|[/itex]?

To calculate the minimum of Ʃ[itex]^{n}_{i=1}[/itex][itex]\left|x_{i}-z\right|[/itex], you would first subtract z from each number in the set (x₁-z, x₂-z, ..., xₙ-z). Then, take the absolute value of each difference (|x₁-z|, |x₂-z|, ..., |xₙ-z|) and add them together. The lowest possible value obtained from this calculation is the minimum of Ʃ[itex]^{n}_{i=1}[/itex][itex]\left|x_{i}-z\right|[/itex].

What is the significance of finding the minimum of Ʃ[itex]^{n}_{i=1}[/itex][itex]\left|x_{i}-z\right|[/itex]?

Finding the minimum of Ʃ[itex]^{n}_{i=1}[/itex][itex]\left|x_{i}-z\right|[/itex] can have various applications, depending on the context in which it is used. In statistics, it can help identify the most representative or "average" value in a set of data. In optimization problems, it can help determine the optimal value or solution for a given function. It can also be used to measure the accuracy of predictions or models.

Can the minimum of Ʃ[itex]^{n}_{i=1}[/itex][itex]\left|x_{i}-z\right|[/itex] ever be negative?

No, the minimum of Ʃ[itex]^{n}_{i=1}[/itex][itex]\left|x_{i}-z\right|[/itex] can never be negative. The absolute value of a number is always positive, so when summing multiple absolute values, the smallest possible result will always be positive or zero.

In what situations would one use the expression "Minimum of Ʃ[itex]^{n}_{i=1}[/itex][itex]\left|x_{i}-z\right|[/itex]?"

The expression "Minimum of Ʃ[itex]^{n}_{i=1}[/itex][itex]\left|x_{i}-z\right|[/itex]" can be used in various situations, such as finding the median or central tendency of a set of data, optimizing a function to find the best solution, or measuring the accuracy of a model. It can also be used in practical applications, such as determining the minimum distance between a set of points and a given point in space.